SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally don't see the point why Microsoft wants to promote another new branding? They should enhance further on Live dot com and this is much nicer domain name than bing dot com isn't it?

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I heard BING stands for But It's Not Google.

Interesting read by Seth Godin saying Bing won't matter cause Microsoft is trying to be Google and not offering anything cause most people don't think Google is broken.

I found it interesting that one of the online newsmagazines liked almost everything about bing except it gave higher rankings to Google for search relevance. Isn't that the whole point, though? Without relevance, aren't you going to be dead in the water?

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icantthinkofone View Post
    Isn't that the whole point, though? Without relevance, aren't you going to be dead in the water?
    Live search isn't far behind Google in relevance, and I dare say it's better for some verticals. It's not like MS didn't make relevance the #1 priority... but they're working at a strong disadvantage (and so is Yahoo!). Google has much more info to work off of when tweaking the algorithm and even tweaking individual result pages because they do have the lion's share of the search volume.

Live Search actually has an entire separate team called "Core Relevance" that works on crawling, indexing and ranking... separate (but of course close to) the group that works on the interface.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a Google killer I think

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this won't kill google nor do they plan to, I highly doubt microsoft has it in their mind to destroy google, thats the least of their intentions. I'm sure they just want to get back into the the dominated market and make an impact. I really think it looks promising and I know as much as I love Google i sure will give this a go as an alternative.
    hi.

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    252 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I found this article amusing:

http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/20...g-brand-issues

Who knows? Maybe this is the next "bing" thing... or maybe we will throw it to the "bing"

(I know, I know, terrible jokes )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman View Post
    Live search isn't far behind Google in relevance, and I dare say it's better for some verticals.
    Interesting. I am not seeing it with my traffic - Google pretty much rules in terms of search volume in my areas. I do think it will come to that in the end - when people look for something online they "Google" for it. It will take a major effort to shift people away to a new tool.
    My Web Publishing Blog: B6S.net - I dofollow but don't spam!
    Follow me on Twitter
    My favorite content writer:
    Steve Snedeker

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman View Post
    Live search isn't far behind Google in relevance, and I dare say it's better for some verticals.
    I have never read or heard anyone ever say that before.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Bing could have potential but the risk is that it will be considered too complecated to use for the average user.

The average user wants dead then dead again simple, and I think Microsoft seems to be good at making interfaces more complecated than they could (and should) be.

However with a few snazzy TV ads like the ipod got, who knows... lol

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it is same as google. The decision engine seems to be just like google suggest.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Anat View Post
    Interesting. I am not seeing it with my traffic - Google pretty much rules in terms of search volume in my areas.
    How would you see relevance in your traffic?

If I came out with a shiny new search engine that gave better results for sports-related searches than Google, it wouldn't automatically translate into all the sports searches in the world going to my website. People are satisfied with Google, most of 'em won't switch no matter what alternatives there are.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure what to make of Bing myself.

I'm pretty skeptical of anything that Microsoft makes because of how half/hearted they have been in all of their previous efforts, not to mention how annoying it is to use MSN Live (I mean just think of the annoying flashy adds of dancing babies promoting mothers going back to college) I don't even check my hotmail anymore. It seems like it could be really good for some things and it will be more niche-y than Google but MS has to really try if they want to succeed in this.

Their previous efforts have failed because they weren't trying. If they make a really effort with this it could be really great, and if all it does and make other SEs strive to become better, well it all works out for the searchers, right. I'm excited to try it out June 3rd.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neoxp View Post
    I do not think microsoft can match a google search with your new bing
    Microsoft could be better then google. It depends entirely upon the research and quality of the new product.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does any body know when Bing released

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aliun View Post
    1st to 3rd june I think

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Search still has a lot of room for improvement in it's current state. It seems that both Bing and Wolfram Alpha are taking a different angle in terms of returning more content rather than pages (not that google doesn't do this, it just isn't the core return at this point in time.)

Neither of these engines will be perfect at release, but it does open the door to more interesting methods of obtaining and finding information.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems to the the best search site because of it's more organised features. Good for them.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1ST of JUNE 2009

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's so many things Google is terrible at, eventually someone's going to find a way to fix it. Unfortunately there are very few people with the resources to even try, and Wolfram is not one of those people. If Wolfram had access to all the data Microsoft has from Live, I think they'd have a shot. To me, it looks like Microsoft just created a bigger, better Wolfram that has a shot at killing Google.

e39m5

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Google it.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did not know anything about this... It's 1st June, ~2AM here in Greece (+2 GMT)...

waiting

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm definitely looking forward to giving this a try. They have no chance to compete with google in terms of search, and I think that's why Live failed. This time around it looks like they're bringing a few new features to the table.

However, I kind of get the feeling Bing's just going to do a mediocre job at everything. It might work well for the casual internet user, but most people already have a list of their favourite sites dedicated to reviews, product comparisons, weather, maps, information, etc. If I need a review on a digital camera, I'm checking a site for camera enthusiasts, and I'll do a quick search for the top reviews on that camera. Hopefully they'll bring everything together in some sort of unique manner, otherwise I'll just be using google for search, and credible sites I've bookmarked over the years.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's good reason for Microsoft to be working on their search engine even if people aren't willing to move away from Google and already have set-in patterns like you, designfx.

Millions of new people join the internet every year. Kids growing up, families moving up in wealth in developing nations, countries that are just getting connected, etc. And the vast majority of new PCs these people buy around the world are preloaded with Windows, and Internet Explorer, and MSN set as their home page.

They see Microsoft's search bar first, so if Microsoft can provide a good enough experience just to capture new users that might otherwise look for alternatives and find Google, they can become Bing users for life. And over time, that will increase Microsoft's search share while Google's drops without losing any existing users, merely because they're gaining new ones at a slower rate.

You Bet Your Life...Really lerxtjr's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm just curious how much the lucky Bing Crosby lover (probably) got for registering bing.com in 1996 (netsol). Hope he got a nice chunk from the big MS.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The site just went live.