SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: Dropped it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dropped it.

Well, I dropped my new laptop for the first time today.

The power cord was wrapped behind my chair, I got hungry and pulled the chair back to get up, pulled the power cord, and SMASH to the floor.

4' fall, but it's all good. Thanks MSI.

Anyone have bad experiences dropping stuff?

. shoooo... silver trophy logic_earth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not as big as a laptop, but my Zune 120 has a nasty fall. Forgot to put in back into my pocket before getting out of the car, sat beside me in the chair. The headphone's cable basically launched it out onto the road and slide a good couple of feet. Luckily it lands on its back, the corners got nicked just a little. It survived with minor flesh wounds.

Logic without the fatal effects.
    All code snippets are licensed under WTFPL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had my Zune 80 (personalized and everything) in my hand (along with a pair of shoes, and a few books) trying to unlock my front door. unlocked the door, dropped the Zune, cracked the screen, and completely killed it.

I've since got a Zune 16 and love it.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dropped a Zune 30 myself but it was fine. That was before it was stolen from my car. Replaced it with a Zune 8, which was subsequently stolen from my car as well. I stopped buying Zunes.

I have never dropped a laptop, but I stepped on one once. Freshman year of college when my living space consisted of half a room the size of a walk-in closet. Had it sitting on top of text books right next to the bed, so when I hopped off in the morning, I hopped right onto it and destroyed the screen.

I used it without a screen as a server for a while.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by yourhostnow View Post
    Well, I dropped my new laptop for the first time today.

The power cord was wrapped behind my chair, I got hungry and pulled the chair back to get up, pulled the power cord, and SMASH to the floor.

4' fall, but it's all good. Thanks MSI.

Anyone have bad experiences dropping stuff?
    Say what you will about Mac laptops but the snap-off Magsafe connector for the power cord was one of the smartest things they've ever done. My work Dell Latitude has been pulled 3 or 4 times in the month I've had it, it's frustrating.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy rushiku's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vgarcia View Post
    Say what you will about Mac laptops but the snap-off Magsafe connector for the power cord was one of the smartest things they've ever done. My work Dell Latitude has been pulled 3 or 4 times in the month I've had it, it's frustrating.
    I've even seen this on some kitchen appliances, I can't understand why it hasn't been picked up by the PC manufacturers yet.

Is Still Alive silver trophybronze trophy RetroNetro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman View Post
    That was before it was stolen from my car. Replaced it with a Zune 8, which was subsequently stolen from my car as well. I stopped buying Zunes.
    Man, 2 Zunes stolen from your car. I wouldn't buy another either, or if I did I wouldn't leave it in my car.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a laptop some years back that was getting old and tired and the dog walked passed and caught the power cable and it dropped onto the floor never to work again as luck would have it i was covered by the house contents insurance with a new for old policy and i had to pay a £50 excess but i got the latest all singing all dancing laptop.What a result

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dropped my old viao a year ago and it basically shattered like a porcelain plate. Very disappointing. I didn't have any insurance so it was an unfortunate situation!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back in the day I had a brand new Compaq Presario 12xl400 (worth $1000-ish at the time). Over the years I took pretty good care of it, and one day, I moved the laptop to the other side of the room while it was plugged in and went back to my desktop. After about an hour I get pretty tired and headed toward the bed forgetting that there is a giant laptop chord going across the room, tripped over it and effectively made my laptop worth about $50. FML
    hoang harry tran [harrytran.com]
    get RICH quick by going to my site. rich in useless knowledge

recently redesigned the site, witness its greatness

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had my mobile dropped in a glass of wine. Tried to repair it but I broke it even more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My TV, my friend tried lifting it from the back and, its front heavy, so it just flipped over and smashed on the ground. The TV was still fine but it left a nasty gash in the floor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't exactly drop it, but I left my brand new Casio camera on the washing machine one afternoon and it vibrated itself directly to the kitchen floor.

The camera itself was perfectly fine. The flash however, was not. I quickly found out that trying to replace the flash on any camera worth less than £200 is not worth the effort.
    Top Tip: Well written, informative content generates traffic.
    CasualCore is my casual gaming blog. It's not really up yet!
    Skilled web programmer available.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dropped my Toshiba laptop- it landed on a couch cushion (about 2 ft.) but it wouldn't boot up properly after that and then broke altogether soon after. I won't buy another Toshiba because of this.