SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is best to create a "Members Only" section?

Hi,

I run a website that I recently updated to CSS - after using the marvellous "CSS Anthology". It's not brilliant (the site, not the book) but it works and the users are happy with it. What I want is to create an area that only members / authorised users can access.

The idea is for a few people to be provided with username & password by me, which they can then use to access a separate area of the site which holds resources, maybe a blog (domain hosting co. provides that thankfully) and so on.

It just needs to be simple - no online registering, no 128 bit encryption through military grade helmets or something.

I have no experience of mySQL, Perl etc, but I'm willing to give it a go (having looked at it I can understand what seems to be going on!) What would be a good book / website for the layman to get started on?

Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lmao @ encryption through military grade helmets!

You dont mention if your server is windoze or linux? I am gonna guess linux/apache
    Simply go to

http://www.tools.dynamicdrive.com/password/

and follow the instructions. If you do not know the full path to your files you may have to ask your host.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Matt, many thanks for helping.

I've had a look through the company's blurb (one.com) and can't find what they run their servers on. Unix is the only thing they mention.

I'll give that link a try.

Stu