SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please help me understand the WHOIS of this site I want!

This is the whois info for a domain I want to buy (I had to write in ( ) because you cant post links with less than 10 posts on sitepoint)

Registrar: GODADDY (dot com), INC.
    Whois Server: whois.godaddy (dot com)
    Referral URL: (http://) registrar.godaddy (dot com)
    Name Server: NS53.DOMAINCONTROL (dot com)
    Name Server: NS54.DOMAINCONTROL (dot com)
    Updated Date: 15-may-2009
    Creation Date: 20-nov-2008
    Expiration Date: 20-nov-2009

>>> Last update of whois database: Fri, 29 May 2009 19:48:02 UTC <<<

What I dont understand is how it can have status of redemptionPeriod (Redemption Period lasts 30 days and is followed by a 5 day Pending Delete cycle, right) IF the expiration is Novemeber 20, 2009....
    How is it possible that the record was updated May 29, 2009 to redemption period and the expiration isnt until November 20, 2009?
    I might just be confused, but in any case, whats the best likelihood of me being able to buy it? I have purchased the backordering service through GoDaddy, but should I register it with others like pool, etc? Does that matter?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    can anyone help me figure out why the status reads redemption period (which I thought meant it would be removed after 35 days) have an expiration date in November 2009 (a lot more than 35 days)?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are right, but you can try domaintool to cross check.
    My Websites Stone,
    Hotel, Jewelry, Hotels DIR, Web Design Websites.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    or please let me know the domain name
    My Websites Stone,
    Hotel, Jewelry, Hotels DIR, Web Design Websites.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont want to reveal the name for obvious reasons, but what am I right about? I am asking a question

This is the definition of the redemptionPeriod:

REDEMPTIONPERIOD: The registry sets this status when a registrar requests that the domain name be deleted from the registry and the domain has been registered for more than 5 calendar days (if the delete request is received within 5 days of initial domain registration it will instead be deleted immediately). The domain will not be included in the zone. The domain can not be modified or purged; it can only be restored. Any other registrar requests to modify or otherwise update the domain will be rejected. The domain will be held in this status for a maximum of 30 calendar days.

So will it drop in 30 days or wait until it expires (probably a year since it was first registered with GoDaddy)?

Certified Ethical Hacker silver trophybronze trophy dklynn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    schindy,

My experience is that the registrar can determine the term of their redemption period (as well as their terms for renewal or transfer during that period). It is NOT safe to allow a domain name to expire so you MUST transfer out while you have the domain name in your "possession."

Regards,

DK
    David K. Lynn - Data Koncepts is a long-time WebHostingBuzz (US/UK)
    Client and (unpaid) WHB Ambassador
    mod_rewrite Tutorial Article (setup, config, test & write
    mod_rewrite regex w/sample code) and Code Generator

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dklynn View Post
    My experience is that the registrar can determine the term of their redemption period (as well as their terms for renewal or transfer during that period).
    Not the Redemption Grace Period which is 30 days as schindyguy later found,
    but indeed the terms of their renewal and/or transfer.

Schindyguy, refer to the link below:

http://www.icann.org/en/registrars/gtld-lifecycle.htm

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Dave above.

Schindy, make sure you do cross ref with all major whois sites and also of course with GoDaddy. I'm assuming you are waiting for it to drop? Either way, you will have to wait until expiration > deletion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just FYI: You not allowed to transfer domain name if there is less then 60 days before expiration date. I suppose that is not so extra expensive to renew the domain name and be patient

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dklynn View Post
    schindy,

My experience is that the registrar can determine the term of their redemption period (as well as their terms for renewal or transfer during that period). It is NOT safe to allow a domain name to expire so you MUST transfer out while you have the domain name in your "possession."

Regards,

DK
    I dont have it my possession, I am just trying to buy it, but cant understand when it will pending delete...will it be in Nov 2009 or within the next month?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zan View Post
    Not the Redemption Grace Period which is 30 days as schindyguy later found,
    but indeed the terms of their renewal and/or transfer.

Schindyguy, refer to the link below:

http://www.icann.org/en/registrars/gtld-lifecycle.htm

Wow that looks more complicated than the light-dark cycle of plant

But from what I gather, I am still correct in that this WHOIS doesnt make sense. I have checked it multiple WHOIS searches (including the most impt..godaddy's)

The real question is when it will be in the deleteion cycle, within the next 30 days or up to 90 days after Nov 2009...

Its actually very important for me because I have developed a website that is currently on another domain, but want to switch it over to this dropped one if it becomes available. The site hasnt 'launched' yet so I dont want to launch it under the current name if this becomes available in the next month

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jervin69 View Post
    I agree with Dave above.

Schindy, make sure you do cross ref with all major whois sites and also of course with GoDaddy. I'm assuming you are waiting for it to drop? Either way, you will have to wait until expiration > deletion.
    I have checked with internic, godaddy, and tucows.

Your assumption is right.

Do you mean the date of expiration (greater than) the date of deletion. You thru me off with the use of inequalities...

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also I just wanted to let you know I signed up for pool, snapnames, namejet for backordering services as well because I heard on dnforum.com that you will have a better shot by signing up with multiple.

My worry: now that these services know what I am going after, if they can get the dropped name, they will do sometype of shill bidding or increase the price of it. Any experiences with this?

Also (a sidenote FYI): When I signed up with all of them they required I put a cc on file to secure the domain in the even they 'catch' it. I then got a security hold placed on my AMEX that Momentous Corp (which I later found out to be pool) looked like a suspicious charge (even though all they did was pre-authorize the card). But I wasnt able to use my amex until I called to clear the hold.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also FYI: I found this info out on digital point for where to go to if you are trying to get a dropped domain depending on the original registrar:
    NameJet - Network Solutions, eNom, BulkRegister, ClubDrop
    Pool - NameScout, DotAsia
    SnapNames - Register.com, Moniker.com, Answerable.com, MyDomain.com, Dotster.com, DotRegister.com
    TDNAM - GoDaddy, WildWestDomains

If this is true, I should go to TDNAM because it was originally with GD. But thats an auction based site. What really f***ing pisses me off is that I think Godaddy automatically creates a $10 starting bid with TDNAM because I bought the backordering service through them. So basically, it would have gone under the radar until I ordered the GD backorder service....frustrating

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by schindyguy View Post
    Wow that looks more complicated than the light-dark cycle of plant
    Sheesh.

Okay, note in that link that redemption period is 30 days, then pending delete
    five days, then becomes available. Since the domain's in redemption period as
    you previously posted, coupled with adding 30 RGP and five days PD, it means
    the domain will become available within 35 days.

You "guesstimate" the available date by counting 35 (well 36, actually) days
    from the domain's last updated date line. Given the last updated date as May
    15, counting 35 to 36 days from it, that means the domain will be ripe for the
    taking by June 20 or June 21 at most.

(Insider tip: especially .com domains, they'll be released between 1-2PM EST.
    Barring any technical hiccups.)

I don't know if I'm allowed to link back to one of my blog's articles here for the
    sake of discussion. But you can go there and search under "expired name" or
    something like that as the process hasn't really changed ever since I wrote it.

Let's just say that the domain being on redemption period, well...anything can
    happen. And that's assuming its last registrant doesn't redeem it for a higher
    price within that 30-day redemption grace period.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zan View Post
    Sheesh.

You "guesstimate" the available date by counting 35 (well 36, actually) days
    from the domain's last updated date line. Given the last updated date as May
    15, counting 35 to 36 days from it, that means the domain will be ripe for the
    taking by June 20 or June 21 at most.

(Insider tip: especially .com domains, they'll be released between 1-2PM EST.
    Barring any technical hiccups.)

Let's just say that the domain being on redemption period, well...anything can
    happen. And that's assuming its last registrant doesn't redeem it for a higher
    price within that 30-day redemption grace period.
    Ok so great, I got a good answer now: It will be available for taking by June 20 or June 21....

I read through the 2 posts for the search result on your site, but I still didnt find out all the things that can happen during the period. My understanding is it can do one of 3 things when its in redemention:

#1 The original owner can pay 100+ to recover it from their registrar
    #2 The registrar itself can auction off the domain during this period
    #3 The registrar can warehouse it and try to monetize on it.

But I have two questions:

1. Is that all the possibilities you describe? Because in this instance I know #1 isnt going to happen and I am already signed up for the backorder service through GD (the original registrar) to limit #2 and #3 from happening

2. I checked TDNAM-godaddy's domain auctions and its not there--will it only show up during the delete period or if they are in fact doing #2, will it show during the full 30 day redemention period?