Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question SQL DataType Question

I have the following function:

ProtectedFunction Encrypt(ByVal sourceValue AsString) AsString

Dim encoder As UTF8Encoding = New UTF8Encoding
    Dim hasher As System.Security.Cryptography.SHA256CryptoServiceProvider = New System.Security.Cryptography.SHA256CryptoServiceProvider

Return Convert.ToBase64String(hasher.ComputeHash(encoder.GetBytes(sourceValue)))

EndFunction

:and it affects some values I am putting in the db. What sql datatype and length should I use? nvarchar(256)? or something else...

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I'd skip the convert to base64 and just store it as a binary(32).

PS: I should also note the following:
    a) even if you want to convert to text, you are still looking at a fixed field length.
    b) Where is the salt?
    c) SHA256 isn't encryption, it is hashing. Big difference.

Resident OCD goofball! bronze trophy Serenarules's Avatar
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good points. The above was simplified for posting. But the thing is, the value is being stored in several places, a lot of which are purely text based. So I thought if I just made the initial generation output a string, it would cut down on extra code later in calls to convert.

Just curious though, I knew I was just hashing really, but I'm not sure how to go about actually doing a one-way encrypt. Could you point me in the right direction?

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That makes sense then. You still can use a fixed-length field here as the hash will always be the same length.

Hashing is one-way encryption; a distinct value maps to another predictable value, but you can't take the predictable value and divine the distinct value. Well, without rainbow tables anyhow.

Resident OCD goofball! bronze trophy Serenarules's Avatar
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, so I was doing it correctly then. Each user has their own salt, stored in their record, and is of System.Guid type, which is generated when the user initially registers. So when I validate, I get a list(of UserRecord) back from my UserProvider.GetUserByUsername() function, I just loop through and check (should only be one record due to constraint on Username). I figured a Guid would be harder to guess than using something like Username as a salt, and I didn't want a hardcoded salt that was the same for everybody.