SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tutorial suggestion...is it worth me doing it??

Well, I have been around Sitepoint a while now, and feel it's about time I gave something back to the people (or something like that!). I and am thinking about writting a tutorial/article on retouching images in Photoshop. I do a hell of a-lot of this, and have got lots of little gems to share, the question is...is it worth it??

What do you think? Is anyone actually interested in this, or would I be wasting my time??

I would write a tutorial using standard tools (prior to Photoshop 7), and also include stuff using the new heal and patch tool featured in Photoshop 7 too as I move further into the article/tutorial (as I have now been using it for over a month).

It might take me a while, but I think I could write an excellent article/tutorial on this...opinions??
    Jonnya Freelance Creative
    UK Freelance designer and web developer
    Website | Portfolio | Photoshop Tips

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Jeremy W.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    YES!

This would be great both for the forums and the SitePoint Network (if you agree to having the tutorial featured there).

I do a lot of this too and consider myself an expert on it in a lot of ways but I'd love to see how someone else does it

It's one of those black arts. There aren't really any "steps", there are simply "steps I took", in my experience. You may just prove me wrong though
    SVP Marketing, SoCast SRM
    Personal blog: Strategerize
    Twitter: @jeremywright

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By all means...PLEASE go ahead and write it!

I'm sure there are many here along with me who would appreciate and could benefit from a good image retouching tutorial, and if you've the time and the talent...please share it with us!

Cheers,

Steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whoa...fast response!! Yes, I agree Jeremy, I would also be interested in seeing how someone else does this kind of work too. I have to get on now with some work (I said this 20 mins ago), but hows about teaming up to put this together?? What I would suggest is that I write all I can, pass it over to yourself for amendments and additions, you send it back to me for a little tweek, and hey presto, we have an excellent artice/tutorial on top level retouching!!

What do you think? Oh, and of course I would be making this available to the Sitepoint network for incusion in their excellent growing catalogue of stuff (which I personally have got a great deal from).

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a plan

You might want to include your "worst experience in retouching".

Mine was a 1 x 1, 72dpi picture I received which had to go to print. It was a speaker for a conference. It was a wedding picture in which her nephew was in front of her and his hand was running through her hair.

What you could make out? Half her face and very little of her hair. 5 days and 60 hours of work later we had a 3 x 3 300dpi piece that looked just like what I imagine her looking like... Heck, she never complained.

Did I mention she was a texan with all kinds of highlights and really BIG hair?!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Owch!! That does sound like a nightmare job! OK, well one of my worst is a project I just finished. Every 6-8 weeks or so I get a load of shoe shots from an ad agency I freelance for that I have to touch-up, colour correct and put clipping paths on (nice work I know, but hey, it pays the bills!!). Problem 1 is that I charge a flat rate for each shot, not hourly, this is fine if they only need a bit of touch-up work...not good if they are covered (and I do mean COVERED!) in dust/scratches/rubbish!! Problem 2 is that they are shot on a 35,000 digital camera ,which although they are very high resolution (about 300 mm wide at 300dpi), it shows EVERY blemish known to human kind. Problem 3 is that they buy cheap stock (of shoes), which means they are badly made, which means, yup you got it...I have to comp in loads of bits to get them looking half decent! Sounds easy, but when you are trying to deal with a natural leather texture at high resolution, you have to be very careful to make sure it looks natural!! Sounds lightweight, but when I estimate each shot will take me a total of 45 mins to cut out, touch up and colour correct, and then it takes me nearly 2 hours just to touch up one shot (and I had 27 to do this time!), it turns into a nightmare!!

Humph, talking about nightmare jobs...have you ever tried to cut-out hi-resolution fire, with all it's transparent bits and stuff to put onto print artwork...now that was a nighmare job!! Anyways, thats going completely off topic (hey, speaking of which, maybe that would make a good tutorial too, 'making selections in Photoshop' using paths, layer masks and marquees....humph, maybe next time!).

Anyways, going back to the main point, it does indedd sound like a plan, I will start drafting out some stuff, and get back to you Jez.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ouch @ shoes... I can only just imagine. We do a catalog for inclusion in our magazine every month (magazine is duotone, catalog is full colour on gloss).

They like "cool backgrounds" for the background to the catalog. No problem. They want dropshadows on the books. Problem. We're using Quark. Really hard to move products around when they have to be part of the actual background image *L*

Suffice it to say that after spending 3 80 hour sessions doing this we dropped the drop shadows and the production time is now down to 20 hours for a catalog.

As far as fire I have actually had to do that! I ended up doing a rough job, copying the fire layer about 12 times and doing different blends. It looked real at the end of about 2 hours of this

neways, look forward to the draft

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Please do it, I would love to see your joint tutorial! And a mighty yes to paths, masking...well anything beyond the very basics (Darn pen tool! Can't seem to get that one down!) Graphics are the bane of me; my lower level of PS skills is holding me back from actively pursuing web design business. I just never seem to get myself enough practice, but when I do make the attempt, I find online tutorials often cover more than my books, aiming straight for what we really want to be doing.

I'd also love to see what books you "pros" recommend for us climbing that ladder. I have a few but I really would like to find some that give you the "a-ha!" factor, where you learn a tool on a practical level and also gain insight into what you can be doing with it. And has anyone found classes to be helpful for PS? I'm eyeballing some local "adult ed" classes for it.

I want to give out a huge thanks for everyone who has ever done a tutorial, what generosity of spirit to help others that way

All the best,
    Trish

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    go for it jonnya!

put that heal tool to use

Former Staff Member silver trophy Adam P.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would be very interested in seeing some before and after shots - maybe some that you have done that you find most impressive.
    SPF Mentor/Advisor 2001-2003
    SPF Designer of the Year 2002
    SPF Graphic Designer of the Year 2003
    AdamPolselli.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    tutorial on top level retouching
    Yes please.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nasty, very nasty Jez!!

Looks like we have enough interest to actualy make this worthwhile, I'll start drafting together a framework, and send it across to you in a few days (after the weekend, I am going away!).

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Works for me, I still have to translate all my TECHNIQUES for SPN today so I've got more than enough writing to do