SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From powerpoint to web page?

Just wondering if I'm barking up the wrong tree but thought I would ask. We have an event coming up soon where we will display some information on a large screen. I was shown a powerpoint presentation that someone had done up for it and it will contain live data which will change regularly so we are considering doing it in html or at least i was asked to see if I could do it. This would enable us to have the display screen update the live data using ajax and without someone actually having to exit the powerpoint and paste in the latest data.

My issue is creating a page that scales to any resolution. i.e. images, text etc. that change size no matter what the resolution of the screen since I'm developing on a laptop and know it will then have to be clearly visible/readable on the larger display too.

So whats the best way to do this? Canvas?, html/css and javascript resizing everything on load and resize? Is this the wrong approach? I have less than 2 weeks and I have no knowledge of flash. My area is backend (asp.net) with a a good knowledge of javascript and competent css. Any ideas?

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There is a fantastic tool for making slideshows like perhaps what you want called S5 which may be of use...

http://meyerweb.com/eric/tools/s5/

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Black Max's Avatar
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alex, man, I wish I had known about S5 when I did a presentation in Austria last year. I hate Powerpoint so I made up a simple Web page on a Flash drive, and while it was okay, this would have been far cooler. (I also didn't have a pointer, either wooden or laser, so I disassembled and twisted up a wire coat hanger to whack the screen with. Got labeled as "crazy American" afterwards )

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Max, it has been around for a few years and I always make sure to tell people about it who want to present stuff via the web, it's a really great little utility

PS: Plenty of competition for crazy American so no worries there

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexDawson View Post
    There is a fantastic tool for making slideshows like perhaps what you want called S5 which may be of use...

http://meyerweb.com/eric/tools/s5/

I've seen this used by various professionals but haven't really looked to see the framework...

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks good Alex thanks for that.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alex Dawson You are a cool guy...thanks a lot for that S5 software
    Last edited by gemwebhost; May 27, 2009 at 04:46. Reason: wrong name spelling

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Black Max's Avatar
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexDawson View Post
    PS: Plenty of competition for crazy American so no worries there
    Off Topic:

I'm Southern, too, so it was fun to occasionally let the accent roll and get all "aw shucks, honey, yer just as cute as a li'l ol' ladybug." They seemed to find it equal parts enticing and confusing.