SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should wit for windows 7. And after the release you will find that there will be still so many problem with the OS. So use Vista for at least 6months more. By then you will have a good windows 7 in the market I hope.

. shoooo... silver trophy logic_earth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jim9000 View Post
    You should wit for windows 7. And after the release you will find that there will be still so many problem with the OS. So use Vista for at least 6months more. By then you will have a good windows 7 in the market I hope.
    What problems? A lot of the pains of a a major version release have been dealt with by Windows Vista already. Windows 7 is a minor version upgrade of Windows Vista.

It is really simple, do you want a new computer now, or later? If now you might as well take the plunge and just get Vista and get used to it. Otherwise wait until the holiday season.
    Logic without the fatal effects.
    All code snippets are licensed under WTFPL.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If XP is working for you I would stick with it. Vista is a dog and so far 7 isn't any better.

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wiggsfly View Post
    If XP is working for you I would stick with it. Vista is a dog and so far 7 isn't any better.
    You clearly have not used Windows7, it outperforms XP on every machine I have tried it on, and even if you exclude the security enhancements, the fact is that XP is a dinosaur and has way outlived its use by date and just does not serve its purpose efficiently anymore.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buttsb View Post
    i used the vista window it is good but one thing some software do not work on it which worked in XP some of my games which i played on XP that do not work on vista.it is less popular and easy then Xp
    Good thing Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise and Ultimate will come with Windows XP then.

Windows 7: Windows XP Mode

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Windows XP all the way until they stop supporting it. I had vista, but didn't like it much and went back to my xp. vista tried to mimik mac os but it's still lagging behind.
    KoolKat

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it's really up to what your OS needs are (what you do on your laptop every day?) and your hardware performance...

but if you're developer you should stick with XP.

Vista is a slow and bloated operating system with a lot of compatibility problems.
    W7 is just a little faster than Vista, but with more compatibility issues...

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by digitalnature View Post
    but if you're developer you should stick with XP.
    Why? I'm a developer and have no issues when using Vista or Seven. Even Dan Grossman, one of the most successful (in my opinion) developers on Sitepoint uses Vista, I've yet to see him complain. So why should a developer stick with Windows XP?

Vista is a slow and bloated operating system with a lot of compatibility problems.
    W7 is just a little faster than Vista, but with more compatibility issues...
    Sure it is slow, on computers from the year 2000. However put it on a modern day computer (can get one for under $500!) and it will blow XP away. And what compatibility problems? Are you referring to software which has not been updated since 1996? Hardware that has been discontinued? Would help if you went into a little more depth instead of regurgitating the same old stuff.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by logic_earth View Post
    Why? I'm a developer and have no issues when using Vista or Seven. Even Dan Grossman, one of the most successful (in my opinion) developers on Sitepoint uses Vista, I've yet to see him complain. So why should a developer stick with Windows XP?
    speed and compatibility with older apps

Quote Originally Posted by logic_earth View Post
    Sure it is slow, on computers from the year 2000. However put it on a modern day computer (can get one for under $500!) and it will blow XP away. And what compatibility problems? Are you referring to software which has not been updated since 1996? Hardware that has been discontinued? Would help if you went into a little more depth instead of regurgitating the same old stuff.
    yes, if you are the average user, the you won't notice much difference in performance. but if you work a lot with with software like graphic editors, 3d software, sound editing you don't want a OS that eats 20% of your cpu all the time and half of your memory...

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes, if you are the average user, the you won't notice much difference in performance. but if you work a lot with with software like graphic editors, 3d software, sound editing you don't want a OS that eats 20% of your cpu all the time and half of your memory...
    At $10 a GB, memory is cheaper than a meal. Samsung way overproduced before the economy fell out.

Vista is not eating half of the 6GB of RAM that came in my cheap store-bought desktop.

Well actually it is, but it's using it for cache (prefetch/superfetch/etc) which makes the system faster. The kind of usage that can be immediately released to a program if it needs it.

And it's using 2% of my CPU while idle.

Both Windows Vista and Windows 7 are faster than Windows XP at everyday tasks assuming you're not trying to run them on too few resources.

Here are ZDNET's benchmarks:

http://content.zdnet.com/2347-12554_...340.html?seq=1
    http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?page_id=3775

As you can see, XP SP3 takes the longest to complete the tasks, by far.

If you're running XP as a developer, you're wasting time.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    speed and compatibility with older apps
    I've got speed on my 2007 mid-class laptop, non issue. Really easy to get a fast computer today. What older applications? Should developers be using old software? But you never actually answered my question just regurgitated the same thing as before.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is what I suggest...

If you are going to be upgrading a CURRENT desktop or laptop running an older version of Windows then you should wait until Win 7 is released. As of right now the release date is set for October 22 of this year. I myself am NOT a big fan of Vista as it is a resource hog and a complete failure of a reliable OS. Win 7 cures everything that Vista has been criticized for.

That being said, if you have a current PC that you will upgrading on, what are its specs? Will you even be able to run Win 7 on it?

Now, if you are going to purchase a new desktop or laptop from somewhere, most of the major manufacturers and dealers are offering free Win 7 upgrades when the OS is released. People eligible for these free upgrades only have a time frame of the present to the release date to receive the upgrade from Vista to Win 7.

If you build a PC, you could download the RC of Win 7 and use that until the full version is released in Oct.

So far, I have logged a few hours here and there on the Win 7 RC and I believe it is going to be one heck on an OS. M$ has really done a marvelous job with this one. It's graphics are rich and robust and it has been very compatible with older software. Personally, I cannot wait for it to be released because I will definitely be purchasing a license!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman View Post
    irrelevant.
    a simple google search will show you very different results, and most of them are in favor of xp

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    irrelevant.
    a simple google search will show you very different results, and most of them are in favor of xp
    What makes those results more relevant?

I'll be opening up a quick list with the flick of a finger on my multitouch computer running Windows 7, rotating an image in Explorer by twisting my fingers before throwing it into the Photoshop window, and applying a filter in milliseconds (Vista/7 free up my CPU by putting the desktop rendering on the GPU).

While I'm doing that, Windows is using the 3GB of RAM I'm not using to prefetch libraries of the programs I'm likely to open at this time of day on this day of week. When I suddenly open an IDE to edit a webpage, it opens instantly, since its libraries are already in memory. If Photoshop needs another gig of RAM all of a sudden, there is no cost to freeing that prefilled memory, it's simply marked dirty, assigned to Photoshop and overwritten as needed.

Your computer sits there wasting its free memory. It sits there wasting CPU cycles redrawing windows when you drag them and re-rendering your desktop when parts of it become visible. You don't get image previews in your windows, and you certainly can't flick them into another program with your finger. You have to navigate a start menu to launch programs while I can press Start on my keyboard, type the first two letters of the program, and press enter before I even see the Start Menu open, and my program's now running. Instant search in the Start Menu and every Explorer window is Godlike useful. When you launch a program, even if you run that program every single day, it has to be completely loaded into memory from scratch, taking orders of magnitude longer.

But hey, you never have to upgrade. You could do your development work on a 486 with Windows 95 if you want. But you miss out on all the advancements in computing by standing still.

Any recent computer has way more resources than either OS requires, so which uses marginally more of those resources is what's irrelevant. Whether you want to make use of features the old OS doesn't have, on the other hand, is completely relevant. And if you think none of those features would increase your productivity as a developer, you really haven't given it a chance, because they will.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still prefer using Windows XP because Vista has a lot of bugs that they should still fix. I regret buying a new laptop with a vista OS in it.. at first it was very easy to use, but after I have installed some applications that is vista compatible for my project, my computer was very slow and always hang up.. when they release windows 7, they should make sure that it is already the more improved windows OS...

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenie0109 View Post
    ...but after I have installed some applications that is vista compatible for my project, my computer was very slow and always hang up...
    This may sound crazy but sounds like those applications you installed are the cause of your problems, not the OS. Who would of thought applications can ruin a computer?

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy Stormrider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a lot of rubbish on this thread! W7 has more compatibility issues than Vista? No, complete rubbish. It's the same core, with support for thousands more pieces of hardware than Vista, which already supports a hell of a lot now.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But hey, you never have to upgrade. You could do your development work on a 486 with Windows 95 if you want. But you miss out on all the advancements in computing by standing still.
    Why does everyone have to bring the old computer motive? most people these days buy a new computer almost every year, and not because of software requirements...

What technology achievements? I hope you're not talking about Vista's technology achivements, because Vista is pretty much crap in terms of innovation compared to it's direct competitors - OS X and Ubuntu. Unfortunately people don't develop software for these two, so we are stuck with Microsoft.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd stick with XP until Win 7 arrives. I've used Vista in the past but have gone back to XP as I see Vista as a backward step.