User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wait for Windows 7 or go for Vista?

Does anybody know when Windows 7 will be released?

Should I go for Vista now and upgrade to 7 when it's released? Or should I just wait for 7 to be released?

Thanks,
    Ron

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most people have a pretty poor opinion of Vista, but I think it's completely fine.

What OS are you currently running? Are you buying a new computer or just looking to upgrade your current OS?

If you are buying a new computer just take Vista now. It could still be a while before Windows 7 is released.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm running XP w/ the latest service pack (3). And I would purchase a new laptop.

I've been very wary of Vista; but, now that they've released another service pack, I would hope that a lot of the bugs & problems have been fixed. Is this true?

Also, I'm primarily involved in web design and internet marketing, so are there any issues with Vista related to this industry that I should be aware of?

Thanks!
    Ron

. shoooo... silver trophy logic_earth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RonSanSolo View Post
    I've been very wary of Vista; but, now that they've released another service pack, I would hope that a lot of the bugs & problems have been fixed. Is this true?
    They been fixed for a long time now, even before SP1 was released. A lot of the problems when Vista was released had to deal with crappy drivers.

Also, I'm primarily involved in web design and internet marketing, so are there any issues with Vista related to this industry that I should be aware of?
    None what so ever. Aside from running a version of IE less then 7.

Going to Vista now will mean you will have a much easier time moving to Seven. A lot has changed between XP and Vista even more so between XP and Seven so you better get used to the changes they are here to stay.
    Logic without the fatal effects.
    All code snippets are licensed under WTFPL.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds good.

Thanks for your input.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like windows 7, if you have a laptop or a netbook, windows 7 is much more stable and robust then windows vista.

I used vista 64 for a year or two and always ran into problems at least once a month, been running windows 7 for the last 3 or 4 months and no major problems at all yet, i have been using windows 7 64 and have been upgrading it, I really like it. I dont know if its just me, but windows 7 seems faster and more stable. Two things that are essential.

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Personally I would wait for Windows7, is it worth buying vista for a few months when 7 actually has a serious amount of updates which are genuinely useful and the OS is more tight than its predecessor. I am a happy vista user but I would just keep with XP and then overhaul to Win7 as and when it's released.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nobody knows for sure, but I imagine it will be probably 4-6 months before Windows 7 is released.

If you need a new laptop now then just go for it. If you wait until Windows 7 is released you may find you encounter all sorts of problems like you say there were with Vista.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RonSanSolo View Post
    Does anybody know when Windows 7 will be released?
    Microsoft has said they are planning to release for the 2009 holiday season. Some speculate Windows 7 will be released at the earliest September.
    http://community.winsupersite.com/bl...-reported.aspx

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodFTA View Post
    ...faster and more stable. Two things that are essential.
    Depending on your hardware, Vista will/can be a lot faster then XP, and it is most certainly more stable. I'm not going to disagree that Seven is faster and more stable then Vista.

* Vista can take advantage of modern hardware advances, where XP cannot.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would wait for Windows 7 too, I hate vista.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by delkan15 View Post
    I would wait for Windows 7 too, I hate vista.
    Do you actually hate Vista or have you just heard bad things about it. In my experience it is a perfectly fine OS. What will Windows 7 offer that Vista doesn't?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By December 2009, Microsoft is planning to release Windows 7. So until then, I will stick with my Windows XP SP2. This is really damn good.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by markov View Post
    I will stick with my Windows XP SP2. This is really damn good.
    If you hate having a secure OS then XP is "damn good".

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy Stormrider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Vista is absolutely fine, but at the same time, Windows 7 is bloody fantastic. Using it as the only OS on my home PC and on my laptop, and it is lightning fast, rock solid and really good all round.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It'll only be a month or two before the computers in stores start coming with a coupon for a free upgrade to Windows 7 when it's ready. I'd wait for that.

Is Still Alive silver trophybronze trophy RetroNetro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by markov View Post
    I will stick with my Windows XP SP2. This is really damn good.
    I'd upgrade to SP3, it's damn better.

SitePoint Guru silver trophy JamesColin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly I have vista only since last november when my xp laptop died on me. And there has been absolutely NO PROBLEM at all, I'm not exagerating. NONE. Sorry, for sure I'm not geek enough to make it crash, but by simply using web softwares with lots of tabs and apps open at the same time, with a 4GB laptop, a modern machine, it's fine and as smooth as XP. On both system I reverted to the "windows classic" look with gray bars, so I don't enjoy the new and maybe slower graphic effects, but it's the same experience than with XP, I don't remember what are the difference if there are any.

If you need a new laptop like I did, don't hesitate and have a new one on the same day.
    Do you really need traffic? Where to? What for?
    If you really do need traffic then stop messing around!
    Advertise on my sites today: She Told Me & Best Reviewer :
    200,000+ UV / Month

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would wait until all the supporting drivers come out before you jump on a new operating system. Will stick with XP until I see some good reviews of Windows 7 and some of the initial bugs are ironed out.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesColin View Post
    ....I reverted to the "windows classic" look with gray bars, so I don't enjoy the new and maybe slower graphic effects....
    Slower depends on your Graphics processor. Do you have Integrated Graphics or a discreet card? Most IG systems are more then capable but it really depends on the model. IG system fight over the slower system RAM which might hurt performance.

Running Aero, (the UI with the transparent effects), is what I advise to run. Because unlike Aero Basic, and Stardard (aka. Classic), Aero does most of its work on the GPU rather then the CPU like the others.

Quote Originally Posted by flooby View Post
    I would wait until all the supporting drivers come out before you jump on a new operating system....
    They did come out, with Windows Vista. Windows Vista and Windows 7 share a lot of the hardware underpinnings. The major architectural changes of the core system were made in Windows Vista, Seven only expands on the foundation Vista made.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by flooby View Post
    I would wait until all the supporting drivers come out before you jump on a new operating system. Will stick with XP until I see some good reviews of Windows 7 and some of the initial bugs are ironed out.
    For 99% of hardware, no new drivers need to be written. Windows 7's driver architecture is exactly the same as Windows Vista's on purpose, so that they use the same drivers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Windows 7 is currently in its RC, release client, stage and it is currently available to the public to beta test. Though this beta does expire, it is still good for an other year. I would recommend upgrading to the windows 7 RC and then when the real windows 7 is released you can upgrade from there.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy Stormrider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, although the RC will start shutting down every 2 hours from March 1st 2010, and then expiring on June 1st 2010 - something to bear in mind.

Is Still Alive silver trophybronze trophy RetroNetro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Windows 7 will be available Oct 22nd: http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/new...october-22.ars

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Wow, October... I can't wait, it will be a worthwhile upgrade and it's certainly on my list of things to buy, the speed tweaks alone will be enough to shift me from Vista, which does seem to struggle at times