At 55, about to start collecting unemployment, I have to find a new job. I have 12 years experience with web design including HTML, CSS, javascript, php, mysql, graphic design, SEO, copywriting, email campaigns, ecommerce, press releases and more. But, I have no degrees or certifications. I could start my own web business, but I don't like the idea at all. I'm not an entrepreneur, and don't like trying to sell myself, then trying to collect payments. I just like to do the work.

I've read many of the threads in this section, and I'm learning that most companies prefer a degree. I've worked with new hires that have 4-year degrees in computer science and web design, and they were actually extremely limited in their capabilities. It seems ridiculous that these people have a much better chance of landing a job in web design because they have that piece of paper. But at 55, by the time I got a degree while working full time, I'd be almost at retirement age. What I'd like to know is what are the most credible certifications I could get quickly in php, css, html, xhtml, javascript, search engine optimization and similar topics that could be done online, and be recognized by most small to medium-sized firms.