User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Holding page for wordpress site?

All, I've got a client who wants me to upload their wordpress site onto their webservers so they can see it (as I don't currently have one) although they do not want the site to be live! Is there any way that I can do this? If anyone noticed this is my first upload of a wordpress site, I'm aware I could upload it to a folder but then I'd have to clear the DB and re-upload when it's ready wouldn't I?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    two suggestions.
    First, are they going to put the blog on the main domain or a subdomain. There is a building group that suggests that an alternate or subdomain may be more beneficial than within the main site for seo. If a subdomain is used, simply put it there now and no one will know the address anyway.
    second, just add a robots.txt file to block any potential indexing. As long as there are no links to it, you should be safe enough for the period of review.

King of Paralysis by Analysis bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adover View Post
    All, I've got a client who wants me to upload their wordpress site onto their webservers so they can see it (as I don't currently have one) although they do not want the site to be live!
    These types of people always make me laugh.

ZOMG!!! I don't want the site to be live, we'll get swamped with visitors to an unfinished site!!!!

People need to understand that traffic isn't something that just magically appears, it actually takes work to get it.

As 3D said, if they're that concerned about it, just throw a robots.txt up so it doesn't get indexed. Just make sure that you remember to change it when the site does go live.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just did this recently and if I remember right, all I had to do was move the files from the sub directory to the top level (database doesn't need to be touched) and things worked out ok - although you may need to fix a broken link or two.

There are some good instructions on the wordpress site http://codex.wordpress.org/Moving_WordPress and if you Google the topic you might find some other helpful ideas.

Cheers,

Steve
    Web Designer or Small Business Owner?
    Need More Leads and More Clients?
    Get Free Marketing Tips, Tricks and Ideas Here!

SitePoint Enthusiast LobsterMan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can install wordpress in a subdirectory like www.mysite.com/new and block that directory with a password (through .htaccess of your server control panel)
    Then when it's time to launch the site you can follow the directions here http://codex.wordpress.org/Giving_Wo..._Own_Directory and have the site running on the root in 2 minutes