SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MS Access database to MySQL/

I'm in need of taking an access database and making it work into an online site search such as this one. Do I need to convert it into MySQL? Or is there some other easy way of doing this? The problem is the people updating it will be constantly doing so even when it's online. Will updating the Access database automatically update the MySQL?

What have you guys done in the past?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If they're updating the access database, then your MySQL database won't be updated - they're separate. One option would be to just connect to the access database via PHP and build the site that way.

The other would be to build use MySQL and build a way for it to be updated via the web, and replace the access database. You could do a one-time conversion of the data to "pre-load" the mySQL database with the old data, and then only use the mySQL database going forward.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, that might be what I'm looking for. Would building a site with coldfusion also produce a similar site? I have no interaction with the process or input of the people creating the access database so permanently making it a mysql one is impossible, unless everytime they updated it, we converted it to mysql. Is that a simple and clean thing to do? Or is it better to use this ODBC thing? Anyone got a tutorial on making an advanced search page from an access database? basically I'm just looking for a way top create input fields the database will recognize and search with just like the example provided in my original post.

reads the ********* Crier silver trophybronze trophy longneck's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if all of the following are true:
    • the access database is updated by the client on their local network/pc
    • the website only reads from the database and does not make any addtions/changes/deletes
    • the web server is not on the client's network

then the simplest thing to do is to give the website developers a copy of the database and have them write it using that database. then whenever the client wants to update the website, they just upload a current copy of their database.

if the web server is on the client's network, then just have the web server use the access database directly.

any other situations will require more discussion and more work.
    Check out our new Industry News forum!
    Keep up-to-date with the latest SP news in the Community Crier

I edit the SitePoint Podcast

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if the web server is on the client's network, then just have the web server use the access database directly.
    This gives me the heebie jeebies. Networked access databases are very fragile, and having random web hits in the mix can't help. I'd probably have a working copy and do some replication to a web facing copy rather than take those risks. Now, if you can get Sql Express installed, I'd feel alot better about an access front-end and a web front-end hitting SQL express at the same time . . .