SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A few questions to get this fully up and running...

Hey All,

So far, I've done alright putting my site together. The book is good but I'm still getting the hang of putting everything together. My page is wwwDOTinsearchofbaseballDOTcom and it's going to document my travels this summer. As you can probably tell, I'm a big fan and spent parts of my last two years on the road seeing mostly minor-league games.

This year, I wanted to document the last two years, as well as get a blog up on my page, list my schedule up, have fans interact with me, and get some of my pictures from JerzDevl2000DOTwinkflashDOTcom up onto the page. Since I'll be on the road, I was wondering how hard this is going to be to update away from home. I know that the blog will be easy and I have most of my pictures up on CD. Between that and the layout, which needs a lot of tweaking, any advice would be appreciated. Oh yeah, if you love baseball, by all means ask away. I'm very pumped to get this going!

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JerzDevl2000,

I suggest you have navigation links on your pages. Putting a "back to home" link at the bottom of the page doesn't help the visitor that has clicked on the wrong link and wants to view a different page. They may not scroll to the bottom looking for that link.

Updating from the road is not difficult if you have internet access and FTP with you.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tried posting my first blog entry on my page, and followed the setup directions in the book. All I got was this:

2009/05/first-post.html failed to upload file: first-post.html with reason: 553-Can't open that file: No such file or directory 553 Rename/move failure: No such file or directory
    rss.xml failed to upload file: rss.xml with reason: 553-Can't open that file: Permission denied 553 Rename/move failure: No such file or directory
    atom.xml failed to upload file: atom.xml with reason: 553-Can't open that file: Permission denied 553 Rename/move failure: No such file or directory
    2009_05_01_archive.html failed to upload file: 2009_05_01_archive.html with reason: 553-Can't open that file: Permission denied 553 Rename/move failure: No such file or directory
    blog.html failed to upload file: blog.html with reason: 553-Can't open that file: Permission denied 553 Rename/move failure: No such file or directory

I wish the troubleshooting was a bit easier to decipher so I could figure out what's wrong. Anyone else get this when they first started up?

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JerzDevl2000,

Not sure why you got the error messages, but you do have a first post in your blog. The entry is dated yesterday (May 27) and timed at 4:25 p.m. (time zone -0700).

Try a second blog entry to see if it works.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the response - I actually set it up to keep the page separate from mine instead of having it directly on my homepage. For now, it works. Maybe later on I can change it back once everything is up and running. My second entry will be sometime in the next 24 hours!

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see that you have replaced the original first post with a longer real post to your blog. It seems as if you have figured out how to post the blog.