SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation table background in NN6.2

I've been asking this question in several places, and no one seems to have an answer. It seems to be a bug in Netscape Navigator 6.2 .

On this site I'm working on, I've used CSS to control the colors of the tables used for the navigation menu to the left. It renders correctly in NN4+, IE5.5, Opera 5, and Mozilla 5.0 . However, in NN6.2, only the top table is rendered in white...the remainder defaults to the outer table cell and renders in blue. I've tried setting background colors in CSS and in the actual HTML, I've tried setting the colors in <TABLE>, <TR>, and <TD>...no luck. What's going on?

What makes me think it's a bug is the fact that as you scroll down on the page, the blue background suddenly disappears and is replaced by white. I have a screenshot of this available.

The navigation menu works fine by itself, it's only in the context of the rest of the page that it seems to mess up.

The .css file for the site is available at http://da.saccounty.net/default.css .

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    could be a bug.......
    I just tried a bunch of different things with your code and it just wouldnt work in NS6.2....

Robert Wellock silver trophybronze trophy xhtmlcoder's Avatar
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, nesting tables is bad practice so it wouldn’t help matters I downloaded all your code and CSS and tested to achieve the same results with the single menu, in Netscape 6.23 so I presume it is table nesting or the lack of background-color contrast. Or you may have misplaced a CSS class statement.
    Last edited by xhtmlcoder; May 29, 2002 at 04:07.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    works fine on mozilla RC2 on windows 2K, lending more weight to the 'its a bug' argument.

cheers

alastair

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd try a one or the other approach. Use CSS to set all table colors, or none. I think the combination of setting a bgcolor and then a class for something within the area covered by the bgcolor might be causing the problem.