User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Non wordpress created page links

Hi All,

I'm at a bit of a loss with regards to linking pages that are not created in wordpress. I have the index page in my themes folder but can't seem to get any code to work for linking to another page (about-us.php). Both of these pages where created in dreamweaver.

At the moment the wordpress site is at www.domainname.co.uk/wordpress/

when I add the about-us.php I just get a blank page. I'm sure this question has been asked hundreds of times but my search button skills seem to be as good as my php knowledge at the moment

I have tried www.domainname.co.uk/wordpress/?page_id=28, which works fine. This would be a page created in wordpress.

I don't know if it that I am uploading the files in the wrong place or my coding is wrong.

Many thanks,

Keith

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you thought on using worpdress pages? (and templates if you want it to look in some specific way) you can use permalinks to have something like: www.domainname.co.uk/wordpress/about-us

If you don't want to do that, you have to place your about-us.php in the wordpress directory (not the theme directory)

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am using word press and it is really great. This is one more advantage of wordpress of creating page links. Now this is going to be interesting one for those who wanted this kind of thing for wordpress.

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keith, I'm with joaquin on this one. You'll be best off using WordPress Pages for this. Not only will it cut down the development headaches, but the pages will be searchable within WordPress as well. (external files and static pages within WP cannot be searched with the site search feature)

* by static I mean text that is hardcoded into a WordPress document template

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The issue I have with using the pages created using word press is that I would like to be able to edit them in dreamweaver. As I understand you can't download the pages created by wordpress? I am hosting the wordpress site.

Also with regards to where I add the pages do I also need the other elements in the word press folder (not themes folder) for example the linked graphics and header and footer php.

i don't have a copy of the site with me at the moment but will check through this later today.

Many thanks for the help.

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're hosting it, then you can download the files. Just go to the wp-content/themes/themename (where "themename" is the name of the Theme currently being used) folder and download the page templates from there.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by quiquiloko View Post
    The issue I have with using the pages created using word press is that I would like to be able to edit them in dreamweaver. As I understand you can't download the pages created by wordpress? I am hosting the wordpress site.

Also with regards to where I add the pages do I also need the other elements in the word press folder (not themes folder) for example the linked graphics and header and footer php.

i don't have a copy of the site with me at the moment but will check through this later today.

Many thanks for the help.
    You can download them like mentioned before - also you could still edit your page in dreamweaver...and then copy it to the html editor of your page - this works very nicely if you have a full width page template as part of your WP template.

For exampel I can set my new pages at full width so only header and footer is include d- all sidebars are wiped out. May not be perfect for your uses, but it was for mine.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did not realize it was that simple. I'll check the folder when I get home (stuck at work at the moment). Hopefully from there I should be back on track.