User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need help with CF MX7 internal server and opening a m3u playlist

Hello,

I hope someone can help with a problem I am having. I developed a Coldfusion music player and playlist creator to manage my mp3 files.

It works great on my machine that has IIS installed and a full version of CF MX7. I develop the playlist via CF and when I click the link to open the m3u file it opens WinAmp and plays the list.

However, my home machine has XP Home which does not have IIS so I run the developer version of CF MX7.

I can't get the same code to open the m3u playlist on my home machine....it just opens the file as text. I did research the CF archives
    and added a virtual directory pointing to the mp3 files but no luck. When I incorporate a link from my CF page to open the m3u file it just opens and shows the text rather than opening WinAMP or Win Media Player.
    The m3u file will open if I go directly there and double click it. So I don't think it is an issue with the media player.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Rob

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're doing stuff like that then it would be the Web Server dealing with it not ColdFusion itself. So in your case it'll be JRun ( running on port 8000 ).

Personally I would install Apache and connect it up to that if you can't get IIS. It's a lot nicer for configuring this kind of stuff.

NOTE: Even Adobe recommends JRun isn't used extensively as your web server - especially as a production server. Faith in the product

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't know CF could run on "Home" versions. You might want to check CFs specifications.

Quote Originally Posted by RobCFcode View Post
    Hello,

I hope someone can help with a problem I am having. I developed a Coldfusion music player and playlist creator to manage my mp3 files.

It works great on my machine that has IIS installed and a full version of CF MX7. I develop the playlist via CF and when I click the link to open the m3u file it opens WinAmp and plays the list.

However, my home machine has XP Home which does not have IIS so I run the developer version of CF MX7.

I can't get the same code to open the m3u playlist on my home machine....it just opens the file as text. I did research the CF archives
    and added a virtual directory pointing to the mp3 files but no luck. When I incorporate a link from my CF page to open the m3u file it just opens and shows the text rather than opening WinAMP or Win Media Player.
    The m3u file will open if I go directly there and double click it. So I don't think it is an issue with the media player.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Rob

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It'll run fine but Home Edition doesn't include IIS so you can't use that as a web server. You'd have install Apache or use JRun (what ColdFusion runs on top of)

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your ultimate problem comes down to a matter of ColdFusion doesn't care what file format it is... IIS normally would say "hey that's an M3U file... I open winamp for that file" Without something saying that it doesn't know what to do. It is all MIME types.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clarkee21 View Post
    It'll run fine but Home Edition doesn't include IIS so you can't use that as a web server. You'd have install Apache or use JRun (what ColdFusion runs on top of)
    Thanks for sharing that info. I was confused by the Home Edition - IIS thing.