SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Image Gallery Problem

i just want to use this medium to thank you and to let you all know that it feels good to be a part of the forum.The problem that i have now is that i am on a mission bound and time critical project for a friend.
    he asked me to design a website for his friends and himself ...which i have done but my problem lies in the gallery pages. which is accessed from the members Area in the navigation menu.

You see on IE 7 and other browsers Opera in particular it show or rather displays well but when i now tried it on IE 6 everything just goes wrong.i really want to know where i am going wrong and if possible how you can help me to put things right.
    i am purely a beginner to XHTML and CSS and i really havent havent been able to grasp the concept of the Conditional statements which i briefly came across in a book.

i am thus attaching the whole site in this post so that you can help to put things right for me and as well guide me into making better pages next time.Think of me as a son in need.
    i shall really be grateful if something is done.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by freshprince; May 24, 2009 at 10:45. Reason: just a slight mistake

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Black Max's Avatar
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome aboard, Freshprince.

Any way you could post a link instead of relying on an attachment? You can't post links yet (you will be able to fairly shortly), but you can post:

www dot fubar dot com slash mypage dot html

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Without access to the site or the download that you have attached, I think you can try opening the page in Dream weaver and try the Compatibility test. It will display all the points where non-compliance with browsers occur. Then you can click on - "View Adobe Solutions" for the concerned problems. I tried this method and got quite a few errors corrected myself.
    I will give you a better idea once I am able to access the attachment or the url.
    Stay patient. You will be through and overcome the issue.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks to you, both black max and the pirate.
    the problem i have is that i dont even have dreamweaver ...its a little expensive here in nigeria and i really wanted a purely CSS based solution since the tools required are free and readilly available.
    i will be patient and read more books maybe that will help
    1nce again thanks 4 your help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont even bother with IE6. If people are so dumb they cant upgrade a five year old browser then I cant be bothered to waste hours of my time making my sites work properly for them!

Just dump a javascript alert on your homepage telling them to upgrade their browser or go away.

Sorry to sound harsh but IE6 is a pile of steaming outdated poo, and unless people are told on visiting sites "hey you cant see or use this site properly because you are lazy" then IE6 will hang around longer as a problem for us all.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Black Max's Avatar
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jemple View Post
    I dont even bother with IE6. If people are so dumb they cant upgrade a five year old browser then I cant be bothered to waste hours of my time making my sites work properly for them! Just dump a javascript alert on your homepage telling them to upgrade their browser or go away.
    Absolutely unprofessional and unacceptable from anything but the most rarefied and superciliously condescending point of view. This has been hashed out dozens of times on these forums, but the central point seems to be that hundreds of thousands of users use IE6 either because they have to, they're not net-savvy enough to know better, or their other choices are worse.

You've just dismissed probably (ballpark guess) 30% or more of your potential user base with a sniff and a kissoff. This is strictly in reaction to your post, and not a personal comment towards you in any sense, but you wouldn't have to "waste hours of your time" working for me. I would either never hire you or fire you immediately upon hearing that point of view.

Design Your Site Team bronze trophy Erik J's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by freshprince View Post
    ... my problem lies in the gallery pages. which is accessed from the members Area in the navigation menu.

You see on IE 7 and other browsers Opera in particular it show or rather displays well but when i now tried it on IE 6 everything just goes wrong.i really want to know where i am going wrong and if possible how you can help me to put things right. ...
    The cause is that IE6 doesn't respect a set height but grows it to fit content (if it is set visible (default)). When a members name is wrapping IE6 grows the paragraph height of 35px. Solution could be to hide the paragraph overflow or add height to fit wrapping names.

But I suggest a flexible height set on the thumbnail div that will be enough for wrapping the names everywhere in all font-sizes. I think a suitable height could be 10em. Then I suggest you loose the paragraph height to allow it to fit content in all browsers, and the border will always enclose the whole name. The images I would set to block display in order to remove textline white-space added below them in IE6-7.
    Code:
    div.thumbnail
    {
        width: 126px;
        height: 10em;
        float: left;
        margin: 0 10px 10px 0;
        display: inline;
    }

div.thumbnail img
    {
        border: 3px solid #777;