User Tag List

Thread: Loading my page

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Loading my page

Its been awhile since i have used html or css and it has changed very rapidly since i was last using it

Im just wondering is there ways to change how the page loads?

I have a background image which takes about 2-3 seconds to load but there is text which loads first.

My question is can i have it all load together using css or have some kind of loading screen so it doesn't look ugly?

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can pre-load images using JavaScript, but if you need to do that it's a sign that your page is poorly designed (in my opinion).

You should always (well, almost) specify a background colour along with a background image. That way the text is still legible even if the image doesn't load. And that will be quite helpful for those who surf with images disabled, like many with mobile devices or dial-up connections. I used to do that while I was on dial-up.
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your reply, but ill try and explain a little deeper
    the website background is about 600px by 500px which is in the center of the page with the companys logo and a few things saying UNDERconstrcution.. On the bottom of the image is 3 links Blog, twitter & contact. I was trying to say that when the page is loading the bg image, this text is sitting there looking strange so i would like to have it all load at the same time if that is possible?

billycundiff{float:left;} silver trophybronze trophy RyanReese's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The browser loads the page in the order the code is given. There is no way to make it happen at the same time though you would have to have a slow connection to notice an element coming before anohter.
    Twitter-@Ryan_Reese09
    http://www.ryanreese.us -Always looking for web design/development work

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i made the time shorter by reducing the background file size, so its practically unnoticeable with my internet speed (relatively fast) but slower users will still see the text first

billycundiff{float:left;} silver trophybronze trophy RyanReese's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well there is no way to cater for users who have archaic speeds. You will just have to live with it unless you want to do some major remodeling of your images to get warp speed in. As for them seeing the text first- I doubt they will even notice or care!
    Twitter-@Ryan_Reese09
    http://www.ryanreese.us -Always looking for web design/development work

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattoman View Post
    i made the time shorter by reducing the background file size, so its practically unnoticeable with my internet speed (relatively fast) but slower users will still see the text first
    And users with images disabled (or unsupported) will always see just the text.
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane