User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FTP and file uploading question

Hey everyone,

I just signed up on here today after reading Ian Lloyd's book and attempting to write some xhtml and css for myself. The last few summers saw me on the road watching a lot of minor league baseball games and everyone said that "I should write a book"...and so I am.

Before I put the book together, I wanted to get a webpage up, so that's why I'm here. I loved the Sitepoint book but there's a few things I'm lost on. I'll put the first here since it's the biggest problem that I've run into so far. I'm still learning about FTP and the title of my page is wwwDOTinsearchofbaseballDOTcom . After searching around for a host, I chose on domainit. It had the requirements that were mentioned in the book and looled pretty user-friendly to me.

So I wrote a VERY basic page just to see how the uploading process worked. I downloaded Filezilla without a problem and titled my html file "main.html". After uploading it, I realized that my homepage is still blank, but if I go to wwwDOTinsearchofbaseballDOTcom/main.html, there's my few lines. My question is how I get that on the page without the main.html, since people who are going to see my page will not know about the ending. I didn't see this in the book, and the file endings and last parts of the URL could have been addressed better. Once I get this down, I'm not afraid to type up more and refine things. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks so much!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try renaming main.html to index.html . That should do it.

There is probably some sort of file manager in your control panel you can use to rename it.

Or just do a save as index.html on your computer and use ftp to upload it.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanx for the help - it worked! I'm still figuring all of this out but hopefully, the other page I put up will upload easily.