SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do browers render my colour selections?

I'm using the Photoshop palette to chose the colour scheme for my website.

Whilst I am using the 'only web colors' option for the predominant colour scheme that will consistently appear throughout the site, I am finding it a bit restrictive.

I am also using http://meyerweb.com/eric/tools/color-blend/ to blend my colours. i.e. If I'm using a red, I use the blender to give me slightly lighter or darker shades to aid the aesthetic appeal of the site.

However, that leaves me with the question. If the colours I chose are not 'only web colors' and a persons browser does not support them, what happens?

I'm hoping the answer is...it finds the nearest colour is does support, but I fear that its...it may ignore the CSS completely.

Appreciate your advice.

Goofy

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Black Max's Avatar
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't bother with restricting my site to "web-safe" colors. That really applies only to very old monitor displays and browsers, not anything bought in this century. There are times when I plump down hard for designing for the needs of the old-school computers, but this is not one of them.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't worry about it. Color is going to vary depending on each viewing computer's monitor calibration, the angle of the laptop screen, lighting in the room, etc. Many factors that are out of your control.

Do your best and make a point of checking out your sites from other computers when you get a chance. Just to be sure that yours is not the only computer that it looks good on.

I'm hoping the answer is...it finds the nearest colour is does support
    I think that is true.

You may be able to tweak your monitor's color settings to check out your site at different settings. I seem to recall, way back, getting the advice to always check a color scheme in grayscale to be sure it would be legible to colorblind viewers. Haven't thought of that in awhile. Can you even set a monitor to grayscale anymore? or was the term black & white?
    Last edited by Karin Sue; May 22, 2009 at 18:09. Reason: A thought occurred.

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Karin Sue View Post
    Can you even set a monitor to grayscale anymore? or was the term black & white?
    Easily done with an option in the Opera browser that overrides all the colours in the CSS with just black and white.

Most web browsers that are in use today support 32 bit colour (the only exception being IE6 which only supports 24 bit and so doesn't allow you to use PNG24 images with transparency). Almost all monitors will also be set to support 32/24 bit colour (depending on which operating system you are running the entry may or may not make allowance for the 256 levels of transparency in what it quotes but that will still be supported even if the level is specified as 24 instead of 32). Only a few people are using 16 bit colour and there the browser will just select the nearest colour and the only possibility for mismatches is if you have a background set in an image that may not map to exactly the same colour as the surrounding content for that small number of visitors.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">