User Tag List

Thread: Learn PHP

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Learn PHP

Hi

Anyone know whats the best way to learn PHP? Every time I open an php book or look the codes online, my mind goes "oh man, So many stuffs to learn and gets frustrated before i even start" but on the other hand, I don't know why some how the brain keep on nagging me to learn PHP. I guess what's the fun way to learn php? Any good books? Maybe I shouldn't be learning PHP?

thanks

Programming Team silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Reading books only gets me so far. For me, I need to get my hands dirty for things to start to making sense. Maybe you could install a "localhost" server on your computer? eg, WAMP, XAMPP, EasyPHP etc. Then start off with the basic "hello world" script and go from there. Don't worry about learning everything at once. I usually try to skim over as much as I can about a language to get a feel for things and then learn the specifics on a need to know basis.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I build an e-commerce site using 3rd party shopping cart, but after i build the site I still don't know much about php. I was asking people around, how to do this and do that, should i do this or do that. Where should i go from here, so many things to learn and things are changing so fast, need a guideline.

SitePoint Guru silver trophy JamesColin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes, but do you know already algorithmic? That is how to program? Is PHP your first coding language ever?
    If so you need to learn the basics of programming.
    try a simple one http://fr2.php.net/tut.php
    and search for php tutorials on google, you'll find many.
    Do you really need traffic? Where to? What for?
    If you really do need traffic then stop messing around!
    Advertise on my sites today: She Told Me & Best Reviewer :
    200,000+ UV / Month

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bill2080
    Just do it.
    pretty much. Stop making excuses and if you want to learn take the time to learn. Otherwise don't. There isn't a magical button. Its a like learning anything else and will take devotion, time and practice. I would recommend some books. Not just to read the books but follow through with the exercises and never copy and paste code. Always write it yourself. You always learn more when you fail rather then succeed. Mistype a couple hundred lines and you'll begin to learn more then you ever imagined.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best way to learn PHP:

First you need a boyfriend (preferably one that looks a little like David Carradine). It helps if he is a professional killer, but if not carry on below.

Take him to a beach and make him play flute music of some sort (anything but C# will do at this point). Eventually he will tell you the story of phpaigan, a programming monk that lived a long time ago in China (or a short time ago somewhere else or something). The location is not important (nor the time or name or anything really), what is important is that phpaigan killed -17e90 people with three echo statements and a /*. As an aside, he also bankrupted 19 countries with an advanced database command. That, however, is a story to be told in the sql.

Eventually your killer flute playing boyfriend will put you in contact with some sort of bearded guru (probably one that speaks linux, so best brush up on that before he chops you head off with a trim() - remember, you haven't even learned to escape_slashes yet!). You will then begin to learn the mysterious ways of /** edit for preservation of human race **/, and after digging yourself out of a few holes will rightfully claim the title of phpguru.

That, or what those guys said above :|

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well, Java is my first programming language and I know, algorithms, data structures, OOP, etc. But when i look at the php, just lost. Anyway, do you guys know any information on how Http protocol works in terms of apache, mysql and php and broswer because i want to see how the big pictures looks like.

Hash: thats pretty deep LOL

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Guys,

even i want to learn php, can anyone provied guides or online books

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skyhigh007 View Post
    well, Java is my first programming language and I know, algorithms, data structures, OOP, etc. But when i look at the php, just lost. Anyway, do you guys know any information on how Http protocol works in terms of apache, mysql and php and broswer because i want to see how the big pictures looks like.

Hash: thats pretty deep LOL
    I don't think the syntax is that different from Java, maybe try to recreate something you've done there in PHP. The docs are pretty good, skimming the first couple of chapters should give you an overview of differences between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by steven_seagal View Post
    Guys,

even i want to learn php, can anyone provied guides or online books
    mail('Jean Claude Van Damme', 'Steve Needs Help', 'Bring knives, cake, and a copy of PHP for Dummies to distract her *evil grin*');

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whats the career path for a web developer ?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    I also want to learn php. Here I have got a lot of knowledge.
    Thanks all for sharing.