SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

buying an AU based store

Can someone tell me the pitfalls of buying an AU based e-commerce site that carries inventory and does it own fulfillment and relocating the base to the US. What questions should I ask myself as part of due diligence.
    Thank you,

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apart from usual due diligence stuff that I've written about, some immediately obvious questions here are on the economics of fulfilment from the US, customs and import/export restrictions, what facilities/partnerships/licences you'd lose...

DD questions are difficult enough to come up with when you know exactly what the site is and does. Asking people to go blind here isn't going to get you an effective checklist.

King of Paralysis by Analysis bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by writetravis View Post
    Can someone tell me the pitfalls of buying an AU based e-commerce site that carries inventory and does it own fulfillment and relocating the base to the US. What questions should I ask myself as part of due diligence.
    Thank you,
    Can you get the product in the USA?
    How much will the product cost if you get it to the USA (shipping, duties, taxes)?
    Where are the customers? If they're all in Australia they're probably not going to want to pay overseas shipping + taxes + duty

A few quick ones to start

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tke71709 View Post
    Can you get the product in the USA?
    How much will the product cost if you get it to the USA (shipping, duties, taxes)?
    Where are the customers? If they're all in Australia they're probably not going to want to pay overseas shipping + taxes + duty

A few quick ones to start
    That is useful information. I know that there is a provider of merchandise in the US but I did not know if any future value should be placed on the clients in AU considering shipping cost. As far as taxes and duty I will have to research that aspect.