SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

IE8 ignoring white-space: nowrap on inlines

Ignore this thread, thought I was testing everyone on the same version!! IE8 seems to support white-space: nowrap on inline children so far.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is an active bug relating to this scenario. On my list of things to do is to create a reduced test case.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Hi James, actually yes when I thought I had a bug I ended up on your page but could not actually reach the test case.

Re-reading the description again though, it's not what I saw. Apparently white-space nowrap is supposed to actually still wrap at the viewport? But my site is horizontal with an overflow box-- they should indeed NOT wrap with nowrap at the viewport, because their container is sticking several centimeters out from the users' computer : )

I also read MSFT's disappointing reply, that it wasn't important enough to be fixed.
    As a developer (and one who DOESN'T have to deal with Javascript even), I'm still pretty disappointed in IE.

Resident curmudgeon bronze trophy gary.turner's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stomme, can you post a link to the page, or to a minimal test case? I'm not having the issue you describe.

cheers,

gary
    Anyone can build a usable website. It takes a graphic
    designer to make it slow, confusing, and painful to use.

Simple minded html & css demos and tutorials

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stomme poes View Post
    Hi James, actually yes when I thought I had a bug I ended up on your page but could not actually reach the test case.
    FYI, I've created a reduced test case for the bug I describe.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Stomme, can you post a link to the page, or to a minimal test case? I'm not having the issue you describe.
    Ignore it, Gary, I goofed-- I thought I was looking at my regular code in IE8 but I'd made a stupid change, and my other browsers were cached and were showing the old page-- IE8 was showing the newer version and it was correct. Refreshing everyone showed the same problem everywhere else, and I realised it was my code.

So, to be clear, I hadn't refreshed enough and IE8 is showing the page as intended.

Thanks for the new link, James. I'll keep this bug in mind, since it looks like it'll stay, but fortunately I don't put nowrap on inlines themselves but usually on their containers.