SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sometimes new designs are not a sgood as before

This is particularly the case (at least in my view) of the current design of HowStuffWorks. I have been following this site for few years now, and I must say, the current design is actually the worst it has ever been. Why its worse? Well, its no longer unique whereas previously it was much better. Now it looks like its a template rather than a unique design (even though I know they designed it uniquely) because you come across similar designs on other sites. It looks like a typical article template rather than one that is ideal for a tutorial type site.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Black Max's Avatar
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to disagree. Judging from some quick perusals of their site on the Wayback Machine, I'd say their site is a logical development, outgrowth, and (at least visually) an improvement over their earlier designs. I do have some major caveats with their home page, both in design and architecture, but overall I think they did a nice job with their redesign. It is, admittedly, a bit generic in appearance.

Recently I got involved in a similar discussion about the Financial Times's new design. Again, I liked the new design (with reservations), others disagreed. It's a matter of taste, usability, and preference.

SitePoint Enthusiast CKEANEDesign's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems that companies and organizations nowadays prefer a more simple look

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Black Max's Avatar
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CKEANEDesign View Post
    It seems that companies and organizations nowadays prefer a more simple look
    Simple is good. Repetitive, boring, and generic is not so good.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually like the simple look rather than sites showing off their designing skills tot he extreme. I think 'simple' works well with websites, especially content sites. If you look at something like About.com, they have a simple look, but its very easy for the reader and also pleasing on the eye.

Regarding HowStuffWorks, yes, what I meant is that it looks too generic now whereas their designs previously looked much more unique and seemed more relevant to the type of site they are - which is instructional. Now they look more like a generic article site. Regarding use of colour and some visual enhancements, you expect that with passing time, but they definately look more generic. I think their look was changed after selling to the Discovery Network.

I am also a frequesnt visitor of FT's site and I must say I really like the new look.
    Last edited by monton; May 24, 2009 at 14:58.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most of the corporate websites prefer a white colour site with a gradient backround. This is simple and works for most companies.