SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Site upload/organization

This is an incredible newbie question. I'm uploading my created pages to the hosting service via an FTP client. I have organized my page with menus that correspond to folders, all of which are uploaded. The pages that are in organized folders are not appearing... i'm getting 404 errors. I've double checked all the links for the correct pages, even when I type in the direct URL (or what i think it should be) they aren't showing up.

Any suggestions regarding organization of pages within folders, etc?

Thanks

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you look at the web address of the pages that don't come up, is it showing the correct path? If so, is the url case-sensitive? It's possible that you developed on a windows machine (file names are not case-sensitive) and linked the page Clients.html in your source code as clients.html. Now, when you try to load Clients.html as clients.html on a linux server, the page won't come up. That's one thing I can think of.
    "The browser is your first client" - Quote: Myself
    Please visit me at: vanillacloud.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I generally keep everything in lower case for that reason... i'll double check that though. Everything was developed on a Mac, never used a PC.

I guess for further clarification, I have folders with organizational names, when these folders are uploaded with pages in them, the url's should be supplemented with a /folder/page-name.... correct?

I'm 99.9% sure this is correct, but my third grade teacher told me there is no such thing as a dumb question.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    can you post an example of the exact path syntax you are using? E.g.,
    <a href="services/treeremoval.html"> or better, can you post a link to your uploaded homepage?
    "The browser is your first client" - Quote: Myself
    Please visit me at: vanillacloud.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would be a lot easier if you provided a link to your site so we could try and see where you went wrong.