User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best Code Control SW

Hey,

Looking to install some source code control s/w at my office. We are web developers and are need of some way to manage our code better, as more developers begin working on projects.

I have heard of CVS but am wondering if anyone has had experience and could recommend one.

Opensource would be great but if a good one is going to cost me I am happy to pay.

Any advice would be great.,...

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Subversion (SVN) has replaced CVS at many companies that used to use that. It has very similar commands but fixes some issues CVS repositories had.

It's free and open source.

CVSDude offers professional Subversion hosting with backups, trac, web access, etc. if you don't want to run the server yourself.

I'll take mine raw silver trophy MikeFoster's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, SVN is the way to go, and for a great Windows SVN client check out TortoiseSVN.

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also check out VisualSVN server for a very handy SVN/Apache/mod-ssl server rolled into a friendly windows installer with a management tool. And, if you are working in Visual Studio, I'd really recommend VisualSVN. Worth every cent.