SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shipping business from your home - allowed in your area?

When filing for a business license, I discovered that you cannot run a shipping business from your home where I live. This is a real pain because why force a business to incur the costs associated with an office if it's not needed, i.e. the business isn't big enough to need an office. Are there any ways around this requirement? One idea I came up with is to use a fulfillment service such as Shipwire and then no inventory would have to be stored in the home, but I don't even want to do that...

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where do you live?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I read "shipping business" I think of a business that accepts items and ships them(or wraps and ships) for a customer such as UPS, Postal Annex, etc.

The term does not make me think of a business that ships purchases to customers. Check the terminology of the law. It may be that what you want to do is okay.

Or perhaps it would be okay if you purchase a mailbox address from a commercial mailbox service and do all your shipping/receiving out of that commercial space.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mean selling products (books and DVDs) on a website. Orders come in and we pack them in the home, and then take them to the post office each day. Some inventory is kept in the house, but not a lot... Most inventory is stored in a storage unit...

King of Paralysis by Analysis bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dax702 View Post
    I mean selling products (books and DVDs) on a website. Orders come in and we pack them in the home, and then take them to the post office each day. Some inventory is kept in the house, but not a lot... Most inventory is stored in a storage unit...
    That's probably not what they consider a shipping business.

If it was, then any business that dealt with physical products would be a shipping business.

As someone else mentioned, a shipping business is a company that ships items for other people. Check the definition for your area.