SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Getting started in mainstream marketing...

I've been looking at some of the new sites for sale here, usually in the $200 US range. I see some quality sites, I think, but I have no idea about marketing mainstream sites. (I have adult webmaster experience).

There's lots of questions in my mind, but I guess the big overriding one is should I spend $200.00 for a ready to run site and try to figure it out? If I lose $200.00, it will be a learning experience. Or should I set up site from scratch and jump in?

Either way I will have to get traffic and market it...but I am leaning toward a prebuilt, set up and ready to go site to learn on and possibly make some $$. I don't want to throw away $200.00, but then again it's not a huge amount to invest even if it's just a learning experiment.

Thanks...I'm sure I will be bck with "how to market a new website" type questions....

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Surely it's just a matter of whether you value your time to build such a "shell/template" as worth less than or more than $200.

Or do I misunderstand your question?

BTW, you don't get quality sites for $200, though you could get a quality template for that kind of money

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, the value of my time is a prime consideration, not to mention the quality of design.

The sites I'm looking at have content already...I dunno if you call that a template or not, but the only thing lacking is putting my affiliate codes in...a template, in my thinking, would just include a layout and graphics.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends on what type of content it is. If it's text that can be easily copied from an article directory then it doesn't have much value. If it's original content then you'll have to decide the value of such content creation in your appraisal of what you're getting for your $200.