User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do I set up a true "One Time Offer"

Hi,

I have a sales page I'm trying to set up as a true one time offer.

Is it possible to log a persons IP address so if they try to return to the page through a second browser window for eg, they are instead redirected to another offer?

I know it's possible to set up a page as a one time offer I'm just not sure what script/s I need or how to go about it.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
    John.

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    An entire company may be sharing one IP address so that you could have hundreds of people accessing your page but only one IP used.

One person may use different IPs at different times so you could have a dozen different IP addresses and only one visitor.

The only way to be reasonably confident that you are only allowing each person to see something once is if you set up memberships and only allow each member to see it once. You then just have the task of collecting enough info when they sign up to detect multiple signups by the same person.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My best would be to use the email address as identity. The visitor has to enter its email address to claim the one time offer, and every unique email has just one shot of it.
    I blog about making websites, technically.
    Online image converter - all formats that you can think of.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your answer Steven, but I'm not really worried about companies or individuals in the know that can change their IP address and I don't want to sell a membership as it's a one time offer for a single product.

I have a one time offer page that for all intents and purposes needs to perform like a one time offer... meaning if Mr or Mrs Average Joe views my page for the first time
    and I tell them "You will only see this page once" then unless they know how to change their IP address there and then, they wont be able to get back to my page if they close out of it.

I'm looking for someone to point me in the right direction. i.e. Do I need a script or whatever to achieve this? and where can I get it?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks yang yang,

I missed your reply while I was typing to Steven. What you say is food for thought and especially useful if I was capturing every ones email before I sent them to the offer which at a later stage I intend to do. But supposing I did have their email address and I sent them to the offer on my web page how could I stop them from returning to the page a second time? I want this whole process to be automated.

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hows about the old fashoined "cookie the visitor" angle. Note if you want to get slick, you can usually integrate this into your current user analyitics options.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wwb_99 View Post
    Hows about the old fashoined "cookie the visitor" angle. Note if you want to get slick, you can usually integrate this into your current user analyitics options.

Thanks, but what is the process for doing that? I'm technically illiterate when it comes to anything dealing with cookies or scripts etc. I've only just learned how to put a web page together and that's with a wysiwyg html editor.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonyp View Post
    Thanks for your answer Steven, but I'm not really worried about companies or individuals in the know that can change their IP address
    I wasn't talking about people needing to know anything - that is the way IP addresses work anyway.

Any individual using dial up access or one of the cheaper broadbank plans will have different IP addresses allocated to them automatically at different times.

Most companies will share one IP address between all their staff.

To do something different from that requires the extra knowledge. Those allocations happen automatically without your visitor having to know that ip addresses exist.
    Stephen J Chapman

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by felgall View Post
    I wasn't talking about people needing to know anything - that is the way IP addresses work anyway.....

....Those allocations happen automatically without your visitor having to know that ip addresses exist.
    I see what you are saying Steven, but anyone who didn't have a clue about IP addresses or how they are allocated, which I'd say would be the majority of the population. Would for all intents and purposes have a one time offer I could give them, (if only for a single session) if I logged their IP address or placed a cookie on their machine that stopped them from getting to my page a second time, if for eg they checked to see if the offer was real by trying to open the page again in another window.

That is all I am after..... How would I go about that? Would I need to hire someone to produce a script for the purpose? Can I buy a ready made script somewhere? Any other suggestions how I could achieve something like this?

Thanks,
    John.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If there are 2 (or 200) people from one office who all decide to visit your site then they will all be on the same IP address (even though they probably don't even know what an ip address is). Are you going to deny the second and subsequent people from that office access to your offer? By restricting things to once per IP. Also what about two people using the same ISP where the ISP reallocates the IP address from one person to the other in between their trying to access your site.

Whether cookies will work or not will depend on how your visitors have their computer configured. A lot of people mistakenly believe all cookies to be harmful and so have them completely disabled. Where that is the case you have no way to tell if the same person returns a second time. Cookies will prevent anyone who allows the cookie to be saved from being able to visit a second time and so it will prevent some people from seeing your offer twice. Cookies are browser specific though as well so anyone who has cookies disabled, deletes your cookie, or switches to a different browser can bypass your cookie test.
    Stephen J Chapman

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Happy Days if my marketing was that good that 200 people from the same office should all want to look at my offer!

If it was only 2 which would be a "remote" possibility, well big deal if the second person was blocked because of their IP address. I'm sure they will get over it.

The point being. The whole purpose of a one time offer is to generate the urgency to buy now or forever miss out. If a person is allowed to think about it and come back later you may as well forget it...Sale Lost. So I don't really care if a few people don't get to see my offer because they have the same IP address as someone else.

So do you know how to set it up using an IP address or not???

You are the Guru I believe. And I'm the student. So teach me something I want to learn. What I'm trying to find out. Unless you want to continue bantering back and forth that is. No disrespect intended.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    One way you could restrict access to one visit per IP address would be to use server side processing and a database. The server side script would read the IP address (how depends on which language you use). You then do a database lookup to see if that address has been saved - if it has you display a message saying that the offer is no longer available - if it isn't you save the address in the database and display the offer.
    Stephen J Chapman

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonyp View Post
    Thanks, but what is the process for doing that? I'm technically illiterate when it comes to anything dealing with cookies or scripts etc. I've only just learned how to put a web page together and that's with a wysiwyg html editor.
    Well, you do need some server-side scripting to make this happen, though you could use client-side cookies and javascript. Anyhow, here is how this sort of scheme would work in a nutshell:

1) User visits site and recieves a cookie with a unique identifier.
    2) Cookie is stored in the database, along with some sort of flag which can speak to "Has this visitor ever seen our one-time offer?"
    3) User sees said offer, database field is marked "Yes, user has seen this offer."
    4) When showing offer, check for database flag and redirect as appropriate.

Filtering just about anything by IP on the public internet is folly.