SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to sell revenue generated from website but not the website

I have had a site called Calcruising since 1999. I am interested in trying to sell the revenue generated from the auto transport section of this site but not the entire site.

Specifically, about 5 years ago I built a transport calculator for people to get an estimate of the cost to ship their vehicles. For over 4 years Google has ranked the page in the top position for the search terms "auto transport rates, car transport rates, car shipping costs and dozens more related terms. As a result over 40,000 people have used the calculator. We have had a total of over 156,000 visitors.

At the beginning of the year I monetized the page by selling the leads from the calculator to one transport company. In addition, I added paid directory listings for transport companies to advertise on the page.

The combined revenue for the page is $20K this year. I would like to sell the future revenue of this section of our site without selling the entire site. The reason is we generate the majority of our revenue from our insurance directory. I would estimate the future revenue over 5 years to be around $120K without making any significant changes. I am looking for around $20K.

This appears to not fit the marketplace section of Sitepoint because it is not a website for sale.
    Michael S
    Save364.com
    Save up to $364 on Insurance

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sounds like you want someone to pay you the full worth of the site but with you retaining the site itself. It doesn't sound like a good deal. Maybe what you need is a factoring company, not a buyer.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The main value of the site is in the insurance directory with over 1,500 insurance agents paying from $49 to $99 per listing. The transport section represents about 10% of the site revenue and does not require any work to maintain. It would be a good fit for someone looking for future revenue.
    Michael S
    Save364.com
    Save up to $364 on Insurance