SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best Language for Rapid Deployment and Newbie to Learn?

Ok, I have been a "web designer" for 6 years, I never designed applications nor did I need to as the applications I used were already developed CMS and eCommerce.

I will admit that all applications I have used are PHP and I tend to be a big fan of Open Source PHP however, I still dont know how to develop from scratch.

I am about ready to launch a company "currently a freelancer" however the market I am marketing to can not afford a custom programmed website.

So with that being said I dont really need to learn custom programming however want to.

I have talked with a lot of developers locally and a lot say Ruby on Rails, others say PHP or ASP.

I have also been told that they all function the same and still to this moment wonder how as I am sure one is better for security, large deployment, quick deployment and the questions go on.

What I want..
    I want to learn something not outdated that is still being used.

Something easy to learn "currently only know XHTML, CSS for the development languages."

Language that is secure on the web

Deployment and development is quicker than the average language

Writes clean valid code

I have recently been told about ASP.net MVC, is this what I need?

Thanks for your time!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "forgot to mention"

one of the main reasons I want to learn is I want to starting building applications that are installed right when an order is placed, an example is below:

1) customer goes to Volusion.com
    2) chooses the shopping cart subscription they want
    3) pays for the subscription
    4) their webstore subscription is now live
    5) they can customize their webstore and modify the templates

I hope you understand the above, I have tried to learn what I need for this and a little confused as to how I can automate a program even if I code it from scratch.

I have heard of cloud hosting and semantic web 3.0, is this what this is? I dont mind learning, just want to know what I need to learn to achieve an instantly deployed program.

Thanks for your time.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would very much consider looking for a system you can reseller rather than build from scratch unless you have done a ridiculous amount of market research into the product you wish to build. Reading this blog post over at ThinkVitamin.com might help a bit in the decision to buy or build.

http://thinkvitamin.com/business/lau...ide-project-2/

Regards,
    Colin
    Colin Burns
    http://www.cmsadvantage.com
    Founder & CEO, cmsadvantage
    The premier CMS for Web & Graphic Designers

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, however because I would like to learn programming I will do it myself, I have researched over 4 months now and know who my customer base is and the demand.

Anyone know what type of technologies allow you to deploy services instantly?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dalexdesign View Post
    Thanks, however because I would like to learn programming I will do it myself, I have researched over 4 months now and know who my customer base is and the demand.
    I don't think it is language specific, but the way it is programmed. cmsadvantage for example is written in PHP/MySQL, but we needed more specific knowledge/programming when we set up a new site because we interact with a couple of quite difficult API's. I think all languages could do what we have done with PHP. I don't think it is a simple answer.

Choosing ASP.net will most likely lock you into using Windows based web hosting, there are alternatives to this, but generally the costs of windows hosting is more than linux hosting especially if you are running a dedicated server which you will probably need if you are deploying new applications on the fly.

Good luck, I have heard that Ruby on Rails is great because it provides a very definite structure for how things should be done.

Kind Regards,
    Colin
    Colin Burns

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So PHP can be deployed automaticly? I am a true fan of PHP even though I dont know how to code it.

What APIs are being used for automatic deployment?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dalexdesign View Post
    What APIs are being used for automatic deployment?
    I guess automatic deployment can mean a lot of different things. Would you mind clarifying what you are meaning and trying to do.

Cheers,
    Colin
    Colin Burns

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    automatic, they pay for service and instantly have a website "I have ideas not really out there"

example
    1) customer goes to Volusion.com
    2) chooses the shopping cart subscription they want
    3) pays for the subscription
    4) their webstore subscription is now live
    5) they can customize their webstore and modify the templates