SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why are the British so good at CSS?

Hehe, this is a fun topic. I have noticed for the past 10 years or so that Britons seem to be really good at CSS stuff. Whenever I spot a good looking CSS site, I usually check and see if it's a British website...yep, and most are! If not Britons, then Canadians. Zengarden anyone? All kinds of good CSS sites.

I'm trying to figure out what Americans bring to the table besides 3d and flash? Our Middle Eastern friends are the kings of database programming. Asia? perhaps interactive online gaming sites?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where can I get some of the stuff you are smoking?

You left out the Aussies.

billycundiff{float:left;} silver trophybronze trophy RyanReese's Avatar
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't forget the swedish! (I gotcha Tommy don't worry) I think the British jjust have so much more time on their hands because I don't think they work as long as us and most brits just design on their spare time (not all but some!) which means they can practice a lot more.
    Always looking for web design/development work.
    http://www.CodeFundamentals.com

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Ryan!
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane

billycundiff{float:left;} silver trophybronze trophy RyanReese's Avatar
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No problem . But really now that I think about it he edoes have a point...Paul is a brit..
    </suckup>
    Always looking for web design/development work.
    http://www.CodeFundamentals.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not attempting to make a correlation between CSS and Accessibility per say. But, I did learn quite a bit about accessibility from a UK colleague several years ago. They were seemingly ahead of the game back then based on various regulations or laws.

As a result, the code was standards compliant and properly marked up.
    Perhaps there is a bit of causation or correlation here.

I follow you though. I typically find developers in the UK and AU actually care about their code v. the rest of the table laden peanut gallery.

That's not to say there aren't those of us who write proper code across the pond

I am with you though.
    Nigel
    surf clothing - Eco-Friendly Brand
    Fitflop - Womens Shoes
    Animated Screensavers - Virus Free!!

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, how could I forget...this sitepoint site is a great CSS resource and Paul is the man.

Sorry I know I forgot other countries. Aussies are kind of a blend between British CSS mastery and design.

What about Latin America? Germans? Russians?

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Tantek &#199;elik, Molly, Eric Meyer, Joe Clarke, Jeffrey Zeldman and of course our very own Dan Grossman are American
    Dave Shea is Canadian
    Tommy is Swedish (like the chef in the muppets )
    Andy Budd & Jeremy Keith are British

If you want to look at it from the "famous people" point of view, the Americans outnumber the British web guru's in terms of CSS.

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joe Clark is Canadian, as far as I know.

And you forgot Andy Clarke on the British side. Okay, he's Welsh, but that still counts as British, right?
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skunker View Post
    Hehe, this is a fun topic. I have noticed for the past 10 years or so that Britons seem to be really good at CSS stuff. Whenever I spot a good looking CSS site, I usually check and see if it's a British website...yep, and most are! If not Britons, then Canadians. Zengarden anyone? All kinds of good CSS sites.

I'm trying to figure out what Americans bring to the table besides 3d and flash? Our Middle Eastern friends are the kings of database programming. Asia? perhaps interactive online gaming sites?
    Yeah you are quite right. It is certain that css brings in the sleekest look on a website at all times. Brits are very good at Internet Marketing, thus they have a great understanding of what a customer wants to see. These skills are taught in a classroom. You too can learn

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AutisticCuckoo View Post
    And you forgot Andy Clarke on the British side. Okay, he's Welsh, but that still counts as British, right?
    That would be a matter of debate I am not sure exactly what Welsh people are j/k

Quote Originally Posted by realfreetv View Post
    Brits are very good at Internet Marketing, thus they have a great understanding of what a customer wants to see. These skills are taught in a classroom. You too can learn
    I am not sure what British school you learned Internet Marketing at but everywhere I have looked we are about on par with America in terms of passing out seriously out-of-date practices and seriously gnarley code.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hate to blow this theory out of the water but I am a Brit and rubbish at CSS! I can code pretty well though!

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexDawson View Post
    That would be a matter of debate I am not sure exactly what Welsh people are j/k
    Scottish, Welsh, English and Northern Irish are all British.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexDawson View Post
    Tantek Çelik, Molly, Eric Meyer, Joe Clarke, Jeffrey Zeldman and of course our very own Dan Grossman are American
    Just a slight correction: Joe Clarke (the accessibility guy) is from Toronto, and Tantek &#199;elik is a browser engineer (he headed up the IE5/Mac team at MS) primarily, and only a CSS guru as far as he needed to be to implement it in the browser.

I think the reason the poster thinks he's seeing more Brits doing good CSS work is that, as a whole, they take it more seriously. The UK government has been involved in setting required standards, and there is basically a more professional approach from that quarter. Here in the US we certainly have our share of gurus (not all of them named in this thread by far) but there are far more amateurs building sites here than there. Doesn't anyone remember the "I don't care about standards, I'm going to keep building the way I've always built!" declarations that were common here?

It also probably doesn't hurt that there's a higher percentage of good browsers in use in Europe in general than in the US. Even as long ago as a year, Firefox usage approached 50% in many European countries, and over 30% throughout Europe.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy bluedreamer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vanishdesign View Post
    Lol... some Scots and Welsh people would want to deny that fact

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just posted a CSS/XHTML job in the marketplace and what do you know....I received a ton of applicants, most from the UK. And yes, I ended up hiring a guy from the UK because his CSS portfolio was the best!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If only we were half as good at kicking a round ball..

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha nice, that's another thing, they wrote all the CSS books

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skunker View Post
    Haha nice, that's another thing, they wrote all the CSS books
    No they didn't, if you look publishing wise there’s probably a much higher percentage of American authors (in terms of CSS) than British. What you said is fairly misguided.

Quote Originally Posted by vanishdesign View Post
    Wrong, Britain always has only ever been considered the large landmass occupied by England, Scotland and Wales (as separate nations onto their own). Northern Ireland is not and never has been part of "Britain", you are talking about the United Kingdom which is entirely a different thing altogether and is where the sovereignty of England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales as one major joined nation is stated as such. Essentially what you stated above is geographically and politically incorrect

Quote Originally Posted by Arlen View Post
    The UK government has been involved in setting required standards, and there is basically a more professional approach from that quarter.
    As a resident of England, I have a wide experience of using government websites to find out information for my business and trust me; we are just as bad as you guys in poor adoption to standards. Though the UK genuinely makes an effort (thanks to big runners like the BBC - government funded), but we are in no ways close to having the government design websites in any kind of professional capacity (to which standards adoption could be seen as a standard - no pun intended).

Though I guess the downside of the government trying to make everything look pretty is their ability to loose records, screw everyone around and make endless and countless mistakes which ruin peoples lives on a daily basis (ahh the joy's of watching the news, especially with the scandel over public money being stolen for government employees to go on spending sprees).

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlen View Post
    Just a slight correction: Joe Clarke (the accessibility guy) is from Toronto, and Tantek Çelik is a browser engineer (he headed up the IE5/Mac team at MS) primarily, and only a CSS guru as far as he needed to be to implement it in the browser.

I think the reason the poster thinks he's seeing more Brits doing good CSS work is that, as a whole, they take it more seriously. The UK government has been involved in setting required standards, and there is basically a more professional approach from that quarter. Here in the US we certainly have our share of gurus (not all of them named in this thread by far) but there are far more amateurs building sites here than there. Doesn't anyone remember the "I don't care about standards, I'm going to keep building the way I've always built!" declarations that were common here?

It also probably doesn't hurt that there's a higher percentage of good browsers in use in Europe in general than in the US. Even as long ago as a year, Firefox usage approached 50% in many European countries, and over 30% throughout Europe.
    I need not be a lawyer to win a powerful case.