SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do I create a noticeboard?

I have been asked by a small local sports club to create a website that includes a noticeboard where members can post small messages like "Anyone fancy a game on Friday evening?". This would need to be limited so that only members can post. It would be useful if posts auto deleted after a given period of days. Posts should be limited to short entries and not become 'chat' or long tirades. As this is a charity job there is no way I can moderate the board personally so means of other people doing so would be required.

My HTML/CSS skills are adequate but that's about it. Can this be done 'simply' or am I going to have to learn about databases/php etc?

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    252 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You should learn about databases and php and etc

Yet, there are many already built platforms that could help you with this and that are free. This goes from blogging systems (like wordpress and b2evolutions and others) and, what probably will fit better, forums systems, like vBulletin.

I would try to choose a forum that is lighter and easier to handle than vBulletin because you are not going to need so much complexity, I think.

If entries are really short, you may search for something closer to twitter...

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD View Post
    My HTML/CSS skills are adequate but that's about it. Can this be done 'simply' or am I going to have to learn about databases/php etc?
    Actually it's quite simple to do it. But, yes, to do it you must have some, at least basic knowledge, about databases and some of many server-side scripting languages.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks I suspected that would be the case.
    It has been suggested elsewhere that something like a chatbox imbedded in the site might suit, any thoughts?

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    252 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    When you say chatbox I can't help but thinking about instant messaging through a java applet. I am not sure that's what you want, because that would be instantly sent and answered... and my understanding of a notice board is more similar to a forum-like thing.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD View Post
    Thanks I suspected that would be the case.
    It has been suggested elsewhere that something like a chatbox imbedded in the site might suit, any thoughts?
    Well, in my opinion not. What you really need is about two files and one or two tables in database. That are requirements for a really simple noticeboard.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Black Max's Avatar
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with Molona (I'm always with Molona, she was tremendously nice to my kids ). The easiest and simplest way to do this is just Twitter it. No muss, no fuss.