User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Embedding WordPress, Joomla (or similar) in CF

Hi Everyone,

Has anyone here embedded WordPress, Joomla (or similar CMS) content within a Coldfusion page via iframes?

If so, are there are any issues with embedding content in this manner. We are looking are revamping our company web site and doing away with our current CMS. However, many of the content editors (i.e. non-programmers) are wary of learning Dreamweaver or HTML for that matter.

That puts us in a bind and someone has suggested WordPress and installing a local instance on our servers. We are primarily a CF shop, however, we'd have to get up to speed with PHP/MYSQL if we needed to extend WordPress or build custom apps. That could be a future option, but resources are scarce over here.

Would embedding external WP content on our site affect our Analytics?

Just thinking out loud for now. However, if you have come across issues or have similar experiences, please share them with us.

Thank you in advance

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sticking it in an iframe is a bad idea.

• Iframes are deprecated
    • Visitors can't bookmark the pages (the URL is always the page containing the frame)
    • Search engines either won't index it, or if they find links to the framed pages, will index those pages directly, not with your CF container around it, leading people into your site without whatever wraps the frames

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman View Post
    Sticking it in an iframe is a bad idea.

• Iframes are deprecated
    • Visitors can't bookmark the pages (the URL is always the page containing the frame)
    • Search engines either won't index it, or if they find links to the framed pages, will index those pages directly, not with your CF container around it, leading people into your site without whatever wraps the frames
    Thanks for the info. Any suggestions or recommendations on how to integrate WordPress or Joomla on a CF site? We also want to have this indexed. Right now, the existing CF and CMS (CommonSpot) in use has resulted in terrible design and development practices, poor performance and of course $$$$ - causing management to abandon the CMS altogether.

Suggestions are welcome...

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy bluedreamer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be able to run those (and similar) apps on your site your web server needs to be running PHP and mySQL. Install both those and you'll be able to do what you want.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Install php and mysql on your server like what was suggested above.

Make a subfolder for wordpress on your server and install it there.

i built a coldfusion8 site and i also installed 2 instances of wordpress for my brothers website - he wanted seperate blogs. Wordpress is the best blog software and i didn't really need a full all out cms (if i did i would have used Expression Engine.)

How i wish they would write EE in Coldfusion!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IJoeR View Post
    Install php and mysql on your server like what was suggested above.

Make a subfolder for wordpress on your server and install it there.

i built a coldfusion8 site and i also installed 2 instances of wordpress for my brothers website - he wanted seperate blogs. Wordpress is the best blog software and i didn't really need a full all out cms (if i did i would have used Expression Engine.)

How i wish they would write EE in Coldfusion!
    Any issues running CF8, PHP and MySQL on the same box? I've already installed the WordPress folder, but need to iron out issues with MySQL and Windows 2003. Have you tried embedding (ex. via iframe or better method) the WordPress content within a CF template?

We have multiple user roles that have headers/navigation controlled by custom tags. We also have specific formatting, graphics and layout that would need to be customized in WordPress to fit our existing themes. The most ideal solution would be to just embed the content, but that would affect how those pages get indexed by search engines.

Community Advisor silver trophy

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    wordpress -> wordpress rss -> coldfusion

<cfhttp url="http://mydomain/rss.xml" method="GET"></cfhttp>
    <cfset some_xml=XMLParse(cfhttp.FileContent)>