User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile OWNERS of Web Design Business Kit 2.0 - DISCUSSION HERE

Hey everyone,

I just purchased and began reading through the Web Design Business Kit 2.0 (from Brendon Sinclair/Sitepoint). So far, I think it's a GREAT resource with tons of info and ideas for my business...

I started this thread because I'd love to hear from fellow owners of the kit. Couple questions I'd like to throw out there:

1. What were the first ACTION steps you took after buying the kit?
    2. What has been the biggest change in the way you conduct business (since buying the kit)?
    3. Any points of disagreement with anything in the kit? Things you would do differently?

~Cheers

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first action I took was to use the documentation (especially the new client needs analysis form). The very first client I used it with (over the phone, believe it or not) literally thanked me for asking him all those questions about his proposed Web site. And yes, he did hire me to build his site for him.

Being able to implement the new ideas that Brendon included in the kit would have to be the biggest change I can mention. I won't mention what they are (those who haven't bought the kit need to). There are so many ways you can conduct business, but Brendon's talking points really hit the nail right on the head - especially the no-nonsense way he presents those tips.

My only disagreement would be that the kit is geared towards those who meet face to face. If you conduct yourself properly, you can do the same over the phone. Just don't expect it to become your primary means of conducting business, though.

whagwan? silver trophybronze trophy akritic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I've just recently got a copy, and what I've seen so far has really knocked me out. Look out for a full review (I'll post it here) when I'm done digesting it

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm still interested in getting a copy, but only if second-hand.
    report.dreamhosters.com | For sale: gorgeoustemplates.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was hesitant to spend the cash, but I now realize it's well worth it. I also know I won't be selling it off when I'm done. It's definitely a resource I'll be coming back to again and again as my business develops.
    Freelance Web Designer + Developer
    www.briancasel.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Open question:

What is your take on doing initial market research for your company? The goal being to figure out the best routes for your promotion and marketing.

I'm thinking about setting up some kind of online survey for both existing clients and other businesses. How would I go about finding a group of businesses to survey (without using a spam email blast)?
    www.briancasel.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Easy. Go where the businessmen are and get to know them. Once they're comfortable around you, ask them. Your local Chamber of Commerce should have a listing of upcoming meetings and events posted. You could also join your local BNI chapter if there isn't already a Web designer among them.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, I bought the course a few months back and I'm now almost setup for running my business. Is it alright to use the documents in the document manual or are those copyright and for example purposes only? There are some good questions I would like to use from there in my forms.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are copyrighted by SitePoint and are provided for example purposes only. You should create your own templates (though you may use these for inspiration) and in the case of legal documents, have them reviewed by an attorney if necessary.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since the documents are provided on CD, I think they make it very easy to use them as templates for your own docs. I do think it's important to really tailor everything to the way you run your business, and also to reflect your own personality. If your written communication isn't consistent with the way you are in person, it's not good.
    www.briancasel.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Guys,

I'm looking to purchase the kit and have been reading a number of reviews. I've noted the current edition v2.0 is close to 2 years old (published in 2007), and a number of reviewers have mentioned some material may now be outdated.

I also read another thread on this forum from people who purchased v1.0 of the kit just before v2.0 came out back in 2007, and were somewhat dissapointed at the upgrade options available (the kit being a binder, they were expecting it to be easy to lift and replace certain sections).

I understand there was a heavy discount (up to %50 off) being offered a few months back - which is usually a sign that Sitepoint are making room for new stock/edition. Unfortunately the price seems to be back up to the ~$250 mark again. So I was curious to know if anyone had heard whether a new Edition (Web Design Business Kit V3.0) was coming out any time soon?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good question; I don't know to be honest. Might want to ask SPHQ at http://www.sitepoint.com/contact/ about that.

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    236 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well, I have the 1.0 version, and although I thought about upgrading, I completely forgot about it . Now I think I will wait for 3.0
    I can tell you that, although it is nice to have the latest information, I am not disappointed to have the very first version. All the information there is still valid today.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The current Web Design Business Kit and Search Engine Marketing Kit's are up on Ebay at the moment:

Sitepoint Web Design Business Kit 2nd Edition

Sitepoint Search Engine Marketing Kit 2nd Edition

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Dan - I submitted the question to SPHQ (re: Web Design Biz Kit V3.0) a few days ago but no reply as yet. So who knows - the fundamentals of establishing a web design business probably hasn't changed that much, but technology moves quickly and since 2007 I'd say some marketing techniques such as web 2.0, social networking, viral marketing, twitter, etc may be worth looking into.

Luckily I think I've managed to source someone locally who's looking to sell the kit half price, so hopefully by this weekend I'll be able to emmerse myself into it.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Schulz View Post
    They are copyrighted by SitePoint and are provided for example purposes only. You should create your own templates (though you may use these for inspiration) and in the case of legal documents, have them reviewed by an attorney if necessary.
    I know this is an old thread but only i have only recently got my copy. That came with a letter explicitly stating that a purchaser of the kit was completely free to copy modify or print out these letters and the copyright notice was only intended for others.

Indeed that was one of the primary reasons for me purchasing it.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing that concerns me: I am in the US, but, I think, the author of the book has his business in Australia. I am not sure if the legalities, and all, are the same.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The kit is written with US based folks in mind.