SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to update header & footers written in HTML

Hello All,

I hope I have the right section here.

Here's my questions, I have recently acquired a website from a company that requires updates to be performed on a weekly basis. Most of the updates are fine I just go to the page upload and job done.

Some of the changes however involve updating the header and footer.

The site has been created using pure HTML so the header and footer are not in one location with a calling from a PHP include statement.

Question is, do I need to go into each file and update the code. There is 45 pages with this site. I dont want to separate them into PHP files as the code is awkward and its not a clear separation.

Is there any find and replace function on dreamweaver that I can use.

Thank you for suggestions

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gokeeffe View Post
    Question is, do I need to go into each file and update the code.
    Yes, I'm afraid so. You can do it manually, or perhaps use some automated tool if you can concoct a regular expression that matches what you wish to replace (and nothing else).

Quote Originally Posted by gokeeffe View Post
    Is there any find and replace function on dreamweaver that I can use.
    Yes, there is. Ctrl+F brings up the find/replace dialog and you can specify what you want to find (using a regular expression, if necessary) and what you want to replace it with. You can also select that you want to do this for the whole site, or for individual files. Then you can choose to find and inspect each location and decide whether or not to perform each replacement, or you can just click 'Replace All' if you feel lucky. Either way, I'd recommend making a backup copy of the site before doing anything. My experiences with the automatic functions in Dreamweaver have not been entirely positive.
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would suggest to rewrite the entire site by creating one template file in Dreamweaver and use it to regenerate the other pages.

It requires some work to do, but saves lots of time afterwards if you can't replace those html pages by dynamic ones.
    ThaVincy | redesigning your image
    Twizted Imagebuilding personal and corporate reputation solutions