SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Retro investment calculator

Anybody know where I can find one online that I could pop in a figure from the sixties, have a facility to make additional investments each year, then spit out a compounded figure for today?
    There are plenty out there that calculate from today forward, but I want to start with the retrospective amount.
    Thanks, guys.
    Hint #23: you will find homefriday just as useful on Thursday.

King of Paralysis by Analysis bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by obiwan1 View Post
    There are plenty out there that calculate from today forward, but I want to start with the retrospective amount.
    Thanks, guys.
    Just go to one of the ones from today, enter today as the starting year, enter 40 years from now as the end date if the date you wanted to enter in the 60's was 40 years ago (1969) and let it do the work.

The compounding works exactly the same regardless of what the starting year is. The only thing that matters is the term and the variables (amount invested, rate of return, additional investments by year, etc...)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tke71709 View Post
    Just go to one of the ones from today, enter today as the starting year, enter 40 years from now as the end date if the date you wanted to enter in the 60's was 40 years ago (1969) and let it do the work.

The compounding works exactly the same regardless of what the starting year is. The only thing that matters is the term and the variables (amount invested, rate of return, additional investments by year, etc...)
    Hey, thanks for that. I am trying to work out how much my life insurance would have earned if it had been invested instead. Am looking at terminating it - insurance, not life!
    Does anyone know how I would assess the real-world situation if it had been invested conservatively in Australia?
    Hint #23: you will find homefriday just as useful on Thursday.

King of Paralysis by Analysis bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Figure out what a conservative investment such as bonds would have generated over the same period.

Total guess on my part but I'd start with something around 4%. The 80's had crazy inflation which meant crazy bond prices that might skew it up but anyway.