SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question No more advertising in forums???

Would you like to see forums without bombarding you with advertising.
    With just a single banner in the top is enough?

-Would they gain more visitors?
    -Could they survive?

What's your opinion?

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That accurately describes most forums I use. They run one AdSense unit at the top of the page.

I can't recall using any forum that bombarded me with advertisements, honestly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman View Post
    That accurately describes most forums I use. They run one AdSense unit at the top of the page.

I can't recall using any forum that bombarded me with advertisements, honestly.
    Well, looking at the amount of post that you have, you could not say another thing since you are very used to this forum, but for newbie like me, It is a war.

Try this: erase all the cookies from your browser and you will see what i mean. The first thing that appear is a pop up asking for email address. Did I ask for that pup up? No. did I clicked anywhere to open it? No. Isn't that bombarding? Yes.

Other thing: There is a HUGE sponsored ad in the top that is basically bigger than the page. To get to the thread section you have to scroll half page every single time the page reloads. How do you call that?

Plus there are more "sponsored" links in the bottom of the page.

I am not against advertisement, (let me leave that clear), but sometimes it's simply too much. You can't even concentrate on what you are reading.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After the first page load, you only have to scroll through the single ad at the top of the page.

And I'm not talking about only SitePoint. The majority of forums I visit, and that's a few, run only one ad, at the top of each page.

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Some forum's place adverts in between posts which is much more obtrusive. While the sponsor at the top is rather large it isn't the worst form of guerrilla advertising I have seen, especially as there are no popup's advertisement lightboxes and such, though I must say the business kit popup that floats on the bottom of the main website until you tell it to "not show again" is rather annoying when I clear cookies.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SP don't have so much ad...not even adsense.. There's a lot of forums that you can hardly see the posts and threads because of ads... take for instance the biggest HYIP forum... LOL... the site is covered with banners.. SP ads mostly on main page I think...

Forums with professional members and high quality discussions does not contains so much ads... and SP is on top of them.. I have a short review of forums in my blog if you have time to see good forums...

Theoretical Physics Student bronze trophy Jake Arkinstall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The biggest difference with SitePoint is that the majority (if not all) of the ads are directly relevant to me, and most other developers.
    Jake Arkinstall
    "Sometimes you don't need to reinvent the wheel;
    Sometimes its enough to make that wheel more rounded"-Molona

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sitepoint is not that bad. The worst I saw was a forum where someone had put an adsense advert on a site that said "click here to enter the forum" which I duly did, and got taken to their website! Very clever really and as it is there weeks later, the forum owner cant be that bothered about it!

King of Paralysis by Analysis bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you honestly think that a site with 3300+ users at a time could survive without some in your face advertising?

And Sitepoint is pretty tame as far as ads goes.

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If people didn't want adverts I guess SP could offer a premium account where people pay a yearly fee and get all the ad's wiped out

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SitePoint sells its ads on the forums, per section, on a monthly basis with a 3 month minimum, not based on CPM or clicks. And it costs a minimum of a few thousand dollars to reserve a spot.

It would take a very large fee and large number of subscribers to make up that revenue in 'premium accounts', since every premium account makes the idea of paying monthly for less impressions less appealing. And it'd be just the people the advertisers want to reach, the professionals with money, that would be opting out of the ads.

I think premium accounts would be a bad business move.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have any problems with advertising in forums ...

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As long as there are no popups then it doesn't really bother me. With the amount of browsing I do I'm able to just block out advertisements. It might make more of a difference for people who don't spend as much time on the web.
    Erupt.com - Shared and Reseller Hosting
    We Care About Your Website