SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast erikdiamond's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation What is best cities to live for designers?

As I scanned through news sites, they have listed the best cities to live/work for college graduates. Nothing is mentioned about designers!

I wondering if anyone here have any idea of what cities or area of United States do you recommend where graphic/web designers should live?

Erik

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

The best place to leave is in your own world. lol.... I was just kidding

I don't know since I am not Designer, but I have heard that in Houston, Texas pays good the Programming and Designs work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wihee View Post
    I don't know since I am not Designer, but I have heard that in Houston, Texas pays good the Programming and Designs work.
    I live in Northern Colorado. I do not think we want to live in Texas. I was hoping for areas like Nashville, TN, Charolette NC. I am not sure if they have strong market for graphic/web designer.

I realize that the job market is slow and I wondering where is the "design capital" of the USA? And I don't mean Los Angeles! LOL

Erik

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    why don't you start your own design company, with the help of internet, people can live just anywhere in the world, as long as they have a good internet connection, they can make money. i know peoples from the 3rd developing country make a good living by doing it. if you live if us, the opportunity is a lot bigger.

We're from teh basements.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    multimillion is right, you can do design work anywhere thanks to the Internet. If you mean you're looking for a place where the local culture is conducive to creativity, a town like Asheville NC or Boulder CO might be a good choice. Or San Francisco if you can afford to live there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by World Wide Weird View Post
    multimillion is right, you can do design work anywhere thanks to the Internet. If you mean you're looking for a place where the local culture is conducive to creativity, a town like Asheville NC or Boulder CO might be a good choice. Or San Francisco if you can afford to live there.
    Boulder, Colorado?!? I live 25 miles northeast of Boulder and they do not have much for graphic designers in compare to larger city of Denver. I tend to move out east in the United States which is why I asked your thought of where might be good place to look at.

Based on what I have been hearing so far elsewhere is that Nashville, TN and the surrounding area might be good. Dallas and Houston, Texas, but I am not fond of Texas. :-P

I understand that you could start a freelancing company but there are too many competitions out there and clients are tightening their money. Plus there are more companies laying off their employees as of this writing, college graduations in this time of the year, companies outsource their graphic/web projects to India or experienced freelancers. To establish a new design freelancing company like you suggested with internet as source might be more difficult than you think.

I am more interested in full time employment rather than freelancing business.

Erik

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amsterdam you smoke weed and you have inspiration ...

We're from teh basements.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by erikdiamond View Post
    Based on what I have been hearing so far elsewhere is that Nashville, TN and the surrounding area might be good. Dallas and Houston, Texas, but I am not fond of Texas. :-P
    Asheville is roughly halfway between Nashville and Research Triangle. Everyone smokes weed there, if that's your thing. Two established Web design firms and a two-bit con artist have the local market covered though. The market is flooded everywhere you go.

A friend of mine in Boston says there are a lot of PHP jobs open there right now. It's hard to get by if all you know is HTML, CSS, and JavaScript anymore. It's such an easy trade to learn with so few credentials required that everybody and his brother has hung up their shingle.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    web graphic designers should live on a small pacific island paradise with nightclub and beach bar.
    with good cable internet provided service.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by World Wide Weird View Post
    Asheville is roughly halfway between Nashville and Research Triangle. Everyone smokes weed there, if that's your thing. Two established Web design firms and a two-bit con artist have the local market covered though. The market is flooded everywhere you go.
    I don't smoke weeds. Nor drink. Anyway, market flooded in THAT area or you mean anywhere?

A friend of mine in Boston says there are a lot of PHP jobs open there right now. It's hard to get by if all you know is HTML, CSS, and JavaScript anymore. It's such an easy trade to learn with so few credentials required that everybody and his brother has hung up their shingle.
    I guess I should sign up for PHP class! I knew that HTML and CSS alone isn't enough!

Erik

You Bet Your Life...Really lerxtjr's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in Northern Colorado.
    Sounds to me like you just haven't found the right crowd yet to hang around. I don't hold myself out as a web design company but more partner with design companies to do the stuff they don't want to do...beyond design. Good design companies in Denver are always looking for talent. Don't be too quick to jump out of state before you've really exhausted your local opportunities. Denver is a highly technical town compared to other cities. What you're looking for could be within your own back yard.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lerxtjr View Post
    Denver is a highly technical town compared to other cities. What you're looking for could be within your own back yard.
    How do you know that Denver is a highly technical town? Based on what source? I have lived in Denver for 22 years before moving to smaller town 50 miles north. Denver was hardly a technical hub as far as I am concerned and I do not want to move back to Denver.

I am consider moving to the eastern US to be closer to my family and I just wanted to know what cities out there that might be considered "technical town" in compare to Denver if you personally believe it is.

Thanks for your thought,

Erik