SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best corporate CMS solution using MS SQL?

I'm looking for a CMS solution that will use a MS SQL database back-end. This obviously rules out Joomla, Drupal, and others that require PHP/MySQL. It will be used for a corporate Intranet and will need to have the ability to interact with our Active Directory database for user authentication.

I'm looking for specific features like blogging, forums, calendars, articles, directories, surveys, text and document search capability, document uploading/editing and possibly version control, templates for layout edits, etc. The language it's written in isn't really important, so long as it's secure, scalable, and adheres to the most up to date web standards and should have good customer support.

I found an advertisement here on SP for Ektron (http://www.ektron.com/ektron_store.aspx?id=6574) and have also come across a product from Bridgeline Software (http://www.bridgelinesw.com/products/iapps/key_features). Also found Kentico (http://www.kentico.com). Are there any other solutions that are popular for corporations? Any links to some sites that have done comparisons on the top solutions?

I have been around the open source world for a while, so these solutions are a little new to me. I would have loved to use Joomla but the boss will not budge on using different back-ends.
    Last edited by ludachris; May 13, 2009 at 13:07.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SiteCore and EpiServer are two popular choices that run on SQL Server. Of the two, I would choose EpiServer.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vidar_ View Post
    SiteCore and EpiServer are two popular choices that run on SQL Server. Of the two, I would choose EpiServer.
    What would make you choose EpiServer? And any thoughts on the solutions I linked to above?

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now, I hate sharepoint as much as the next developer, but what you are looking for sounds right up it's alley and you have all the necessary licensing to do Windows Sharepoint Services 3.0.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wwb_99 View Post
    Now, I hate sharepoint as much as the next developer, but what you are looking for sounds right up it's alley and you have all the necessary licensing to do Windows Sharepoint Services 3.0.
    Being very new to Sharepoint, I didn't even explore this option... or realize that it could act as a CMS with all the features I was looking for. I'll have to look into this. Thanks!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Turns out we have Sharepoint Services 2.0 - and I'm having a tough time figuring out how to get all of the things out of Sharepoint that I need. How would you customize the layout of Sharepoint to make it look like your existing HTML-coded Intranet site? I'm completely new to this solution and can't quite figure out where to start.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a whole 'nother ball of wax--I tend to render unto sharepoint what is sharepoint's. Or, I wouldn't bother. It's an intranet site, who cares how it looks beyond the functional?

Anyhow, the best place to start is with SharePoint designer (aka Front Page 2007). Also, if you have 2.0, you should be able to add 3.0 without any sweat--it has the same general underlying requirements.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a whole 'nother ball of wax--I tend to render unto sharepoint what is sharepoint's. Or, I wouldn't bother. It's an intranet site, who cares how it looks beyond the functional?

Anyhow, the best place to start is with SharePoint designer (aka Front Page 2007). Also, if you have 2.0, you should be able to add 3.0 without any sweat--it has the same general underlying requirements.
    Even though it is just an Intranet site, I'd still like to be able to control the layout so that it looks modern and up to date. And I've been able to do that since it's currently set up as basic HTML pages. I'd just like to know I can have that same ability/control if I converted it to a Sharepoint solution.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ludachris View Post
    What would make you choose EpiServer? And any thoughts on the solutions I linked to above?
    Both Ektron and Kentico are fairly good solutions. I've had face-to-face demos at exhibitions from all four(Ektron, Kentico, EpiServer and SiteCore).

I would choose EpiServer because it doesn't have many weaknesses. It's very solid in most areas. SiteCore has a lot of fancy technology, but I found it very confusing to use.

Note that I have very little personal experience. It's mostly opinions based on demos, videos and information from our customers.

Disclosure: I work for a competitor of all the systems mentioned.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ludachris View Post
    Even though it is just an Intranet site, I'd still like to be able to control the layout so that it looks modern and up to date. And I've been able to do that since it's currently set up as basic HTML pages. I'd just like to know I can have that same ability/control if I converted it to a Sharepoint solution.
    You could do most anything in general, the only question is the level of pain you are willing to go through to get there.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are using WSS 2.0 you will be limited. WSS 2.0 / 3.0 are intranet solutions only. You can customise WSS to look how you like and you can style everything. Google Heather Solomon. She has great articles on how to customise Sharepoint. If you are wanting to do publishing (External) you need MOSS 2007 (SharePoint Server) which costs alot and would probably be too expensive to roll out. You can do alot with WSS you just need to do your reading online. I have done many customisations for WSS & MOSS. Moss is easier but there are some problems you can run into with WSS.

Good Luck

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can do externally facing WSS, you just need an external connector license (you'd actually need one for MOSS2007 as well). Still more of an extranet document management solution than an actual website, but that is what it is, no?

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can do it of course but it is just not designed to do that..