SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need UNIX web server book recommendation

Hi,

Aftre having browsed through about 40 different sites for Norwegian web hosting companies, I'm starting to think that doing web hosting the right way has yet to be learned by us Norwegians. So, I'm thinking about setting up a web server myself and running at least my own and my clients sites on it. I have no idea how, though. So I'm in the market for a good book.

My background knowledge is limited to being a client on a virtually hosted UNIX server, so all I really know is that I want the server to run UNIX and Apache, which I'm most comfortable with, and that I need to know how the whole thing works to how complete control.

So, any good ideas for a web server dummy like myself ? (I really hope there's no such thing as UNIX web servers for Dummies! )

Thanks in advance !
    Sincerely,

Eirik Johansen
    Netmaking AS

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The books you get would depend on the software you choose to run on your server...

You should at the least get books on PHP, MySQL and Perl. Both WROX and O'Reilly put out good books on these.

For Apache, I can recommend "The Definitive Guide to Apache" from O'Reilly. It is a good read and informative.

There are books on sendmail, qmail and others so you would have to decide what mailing system you want to use.

Also you need to determine an operating system before you can get a book on it. Unix is subtly different from Linux and each Distro is different from the others.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Wayne,

Guess I should have mentioned that I'm already fairly familiar with both PHP, Perl and MySQL so I guess I'll crawl up with a good Apache book.

Thanks for the tips !
    Sincerely,

Eirik Johansen
    Netmaking AS

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of web servers run the latest version of RedHat Linux (www.redhat.com) - you might want to start off with that before delving into Apache. Knowing Apache won't do you much good if you don't know the OS!

I agree about the O'Reilly books... they're great. They've got several good books on Linux and RedHat as well. Good luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try O'Reilly's DNS and Bind book.

A good reminder reference is Sams "Teach Yourself Linux in 10 Minutes" book. It makes for a quick lookup.

Also, stay away from those 1000 page sys admin books. They look good, and you think, "If I could soak in ALL that..." or "It would make a good reference book...it's so large it must have everything." I have about 10 of those 1000 page System Admin books. They are collecting dust on the shelf. I like short, to-the-point type books and helps.

So, I'll be the third to recommend the O'Reilly line of books.

Good luck,
    Lamar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for keeping the tips coming in, guys. I've already ordered "Apache: The Definitive Guide" and am really looking forward to receiving it!
    Sincerely,

Eirik Johansen
    Netmaking AS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does that book cover Apache version 2?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    UNIX is such a broad subject.. but the book I'd recommend is Practical UNIX Security from O'Reilly, ISBN 0-937175-72-2 for convenience.

It teaches the basics of UNIX security, which will naturally involve in your exploration and learning the operating system.

Running a production server will always involve insecurity.. it's a good book to have around.