SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

suggestion for php framework

Hi,

i am not new to php. using it for about four to five months and have now pretty good idea of it. now i want to goto php framework side but don't have any idea that which one is best for beginners to learn.

Any Suggestion

thanks in advance

syed usman ahmed

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I prefer Symfony. It is one of the best designed and most proven among the PHP frameworks. It runs such massive production sites as Delicious (del.icio.us), Yahoo! Answers and Yahoo! Bookmarks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    okes thanks Dan

i forgot to mention that currently i am only working on PHP scripts i.e. not on the OOPHP
    so will still symfony will work for me ??

usman ahmed

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All PHP frameworks are object-oriented. It's the only way to build any complex system with PHP.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by usmangt View Post
    i forgot to mention that currently i am only working on PHP scripts i.e. not on the OOPHP
    so will still symfony will work for me ??
    Using an object oriented PHP framework requires you to be familiar with at least basic OO concepts. Have a look at the tutorials and documentation to see how usage looks like.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okes

Thanks Dan FrIB for the Support

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can also try KohanaPHP (which I love ), CakePHP, CodeIgniter, probalby you can leave Zend until you learn more OO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never really did much with frameworks, but I did like CodeIgniter. I personally wrote my own to use.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used codeigniter for some projects,I tried Kohana also I thing it has some better things as for example the form validation and the Addons (and maybe php 5 OOP) but maybe it has not some libraries that CI has.
    Now I am learning Yii framerwork, as I see it worth the attention and for my opinion has some better things than CI as Active record, form validation etc.
    Also has the yiic tool etc.Some tests found it faster.
    Of cource the code of the programmer is important

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would recommend CakePHP or CodeIgniter for a beginner. Correct me if I am wrong, but don't you have to run commands on Symfony to make changes in a production environment? For more of a real OOP Zend is the way to go unless you want to make your own framework.
    Have a good day.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darren884 View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong, but don't you have to run commands on Symfony to make changes in a production environment?
    Only because Symfony is being more efficient than other frameworks. On first run it parses all your configuration files into minimal, more efficient native PHP code that can be include()'d, and scans for classes in the directory tree for autoloading.

If you change configuration in the production environment, you have to refresh the cache. You don't have to run a command to do it either, that's just for convenience, you could just delete the contents of the cache directory.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman View Post
    Only because Symfony is being more efficient than other frameworks. On first run it parses all your configuration files into minimal, more efficient native PHP code that can be include()'d, and scans for classes in the directory tree for autoloading.

If you change configuration in the production environment, you have to refresh the cache. You don't have to run a command to do it either, that's just for convenience, you could just delete the contents of the cache directory.
    Interesting I will have to learn more about it. The cache clearing cleared up a bunch of my perceptions about it.
    Have a good day.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My suggestion would be CakePHP considering you are not familiar with OOP. Even though Cake is still built in an OO manner, it provides strict rules on naming conventions, file placements, etc that framework "newbies" tend to find so overwhelming when first starting out. Cake's documentation is great as well as having a pretty active, open community.

Personally, I love Zend - I didnt always feel that way about it, after coming from Cake, there quiet a few things different between the two. In many cases, I feel like the flexibility that Zend gives me almost always trumps Cake's out of the box speed and ease especially when its a complex project that may or may not always need to follow Cake's conventions to a T. Zend really makes no assumptions on how you want to build things which makes it a great framework for seasoned developers, but most often times, terrible for new programmers who work themselves into corners. Also, if at some point, you do pick up Zend, really consider dumping Zend_Db and using Doctrine as your de-facto model layer.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's another vote for symfony.

The learning curve is maybe steeper than something like CodeIgniter, but if at some point you are going to be attempting more complex projects then you'd probably end up having to "unlearn" CI and learning symfony (a friend of mine recently did just that). I've been using it since v1.0 and it's my framework of choice. I recommend Doctrine as the ORM though, rather than Propel.

Have a look at the introductory tutorials and the "Jobeet" project and see what you think. You can download a "sandbox" version of the framework to have a play with.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vote for Symfony with Doctrine. The Jobeet tutorial sold me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Django. No, really.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BerislavLopac View Post
    Django. No, really.
    It's great that you like Django, but it's not a PHP framework.

And I shall never use it until they start optimizing away tail recursion