SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OZ Servers: Do not use.

Bad service. Makes me mad. Why?

• Slow to respond to tickets. Sometimes taking days/weeks.
    • Poor support: eg Plesk not functioning properly, I can't create a domain due to some error, making plesk useless and they take 24 hours to respond with: "have you tried rebooting". Good one. It's something wrong with your system, bloody well at least take 20 seconds to check it out and reboot the thing yourself, because what if it's not that and I'm left with a useless server waiting for you to get around to responding to the ticket.
    • Their Minimal VPS package needs rebooting constantly. Just stops working. I think it's due to out of ram issues, but considering I'm only hosting personal and internal sites which have little to no traffic, this shouldn't be the case. They claim they can't do anything to fix it because it's an unmanaged server, but surely part of the deal with an unmanaged server is that it will at least be set up to do basic server functions out of the box?
    • Services not working more often than working. For unknown reasons
    • Hardware failure
    • So far 3 billing errors.

Just don't even consider using them, they need to start reading The sitepoint tribune to get some idea on how to treat & keep customers.

I'm canceling all my services with them... anyone got suggestions on an alternative budget linux VPS provider?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just to be clear, by oz servers i mean the company at ozservers.com.au, not general australian servers...

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy ldcdc's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just to be clear, by oz servers i mean the company at ozservers.com.au, not general australian servers...
    I was seconds away from asking for the URL of the company.

They don't seem cheap at all to me, especially if those are unmanaged VPSes. Maybe the servers are actually located in OZ? Is that a requirement for you?
    HostPeek.com - budget hosts, compared
    CouponsNexus.com - web hosting coupons

Ultra Cheap Hosts | Web Hosting Reviews Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to have a server in denver with Data393. These guys provided immaculate service, and I'd recommend them to anyone... so it's been a bit of a shock to come from support questions answered within 20 minutes & problems solved as soon as possible with periodic updates etc, to OZ Servers where questions are answered... maybe, and problems solved whenever the techs get around to it...

Anyway, I used to have problems with site loading times, and I assumed it was because the sites were served from the US with 400ms+ ping times rather than in AUS where I could expect <100ms ping...

And because my clients are AUS based, I figure I should get an AUS server...

So currently I have no more clients, I've lost jobs and had to knock jobs back because I couldn't guarantee decent hosting service. I thought it's only be temporary and these problems would reside after a while but I've had nothing but problems with OZ Servers from day 1... (they say 1 day till server ready when you order online... 3 days later, with no word, I had to nag them on irc and it still wasn't up).

Anyway, I need a new Linux, Plesk, VPS... Currently I'm paying $55 a month, and I'd be looking to spend something similar until I finish building an automation tool and get more clients. Any recommendations?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, hang on what's that? ozservers.com.au website is down? awesome.

GEN_005: Current user not found. - Please contact technical support.

ugh!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our experience with ozservers was absolutely horrible. They do not communicate with their clients well at all, support tickets are frequently left unanswered and ringing them up on the phone can be a very disturbing experience.

We had a phishing incident with them on one of our servers and instead of contacting us about it (which every other provider in the known world does) they just disconnected the server, this happened twice. You have to then chase them up and plead with them to re-connect your server, its a very hard situation to deal with. They are not on your side at all and do not care about you as a client, or the hundreds of clients you might be supporting. If you start making any complaints you will find yourself in real trouble, they will quickly turn everything around and try to paint the picture of you being a bad person and severe security risk - and the rest of it. Its as though they have had a lot of experience dealing with angry clients, I was shocked how quickly they turned everything around on me saying I was a severe security risk, my server was root compromised, how bad I was etc,etc. It was the most bizarre and horrible situation I have ever been in.

We simply had a reseller who had some of his cpanel accounts exploited and a phishing site uploaded - and suddenly they disconnected the server and they accused me of being a criminal and canceled everything in the blink of the eye. I thought I was dreaming, it was just one of those unbelievable situations to be in, a nightmare coming true. The nasty sting in the tail is they have 6 monthly contracts and now we have to pay them for NO service until the end of the contract period. But that's just money, money can be made again, the real issue here was the nightmare they put my business through.

We were forced to do an immediate emergency migration to a new provider. The strange thing is we have had ZERO problems with our new provider. We were never root compromised, not even close. All I had to do was remove this single reseller client from the server. That's right....such a simple fix... there was NOTHING WRONG, no root compromise and we've had ZERO problems with our new provider, how clearer could it be than that. I might add that we've never had these problems with other providers either.

In fairness I can say that their network is good, its just the type of people running it that are the problem. I really warn anyone who may be considering using their services, be absolutely 100% sure you have all your bases covered, and do not allow yourself to be vulnerable to them at any point or you may suddenly find yourself in a really bad situation. I had to fight with them a hell of a lot just to be given access to my backups. Can you believe that? At one point they were not even going to allow us to retrieve any backups and my entire business (hundreds of clients) could have been destroyed overnight, all I can say is thank God some sanity and reason finally prevailed in my situation and I managed to get some limited access to my backups. But it took a hell of an ordeal to get that far with them and it left me shaking.....yes literally shaking, I was abused on the telephone and laughed at and mocked, it was the nastiest shocking ordeal of my 7 years in the hosting industry.

So be very careful with ozservers, in our opinion they are way too much of a risk/uncertainty, you don't know what nasty surprises could be coming around the corner, or what's going through their heads. You will find you're on tender hooks with them if you encounter any trouble along the way. Let's put it this way......its with them that it became the most clear to me that a Datacenter has the potential power to destroy you, your data is on their servers and suddenly you can find yourself being in a very bad situation. It simply should not be like that when doing business with a provider. Who wants to operate under that kind of threat and constant fear and intimidation? We sure don't. While I never wish this kind of ordeal on anyone else, I can say that I'm glad it happened because looking back I now realise they were a ticking time bomb, its better it happened to us sooner rather than later.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for sharing your experience...

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As is my right, this is Oz Servers right of reply for public record.

I take these matters very seriously.

Oz Servers has several thousand VERY happy dedicated server customers with four datacenters in Australia, as we are here to serve.

I shall address each post seperately:

Dear BJDEA,

Please note that you initially brought this information into the public realm as per posts on this forum :

www dot webhostingtalk dot com dot au/general-discussion-2/ozservers-dissappeared-10069.html

Your services were terminated for non-action, and, basically lying to me that you had fixed the problem for several consecutive months.

At this point, it was obvious to me after talking to your two previous providers, whom I know personally, that you were forced to move this server to Oz servers in the first place, instead of dealing with the problem, and we had security issues from day one with you. We were being taken for a ride by you and your inaction, so please do not pretend otherwise.

I might add you are the ONLY Oz Servers customer to be terminated for AUP violations in 10 years, and we standby this position wholeheartedly.

secoif:
    You received a violation message as you tried to access a non-existant URL. There is no need to paste us the URL, we are notified immediately whenever an attempt is made to access an unauthorised URL on our CMS as a job is lodged for our team to fix up immediately.

ldcdc : The URL has been provided below, we are Indeed an Australian datacenter group, with datacenters in the three most densly populated cities within Australia, Namely Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane.

Secoif: I have spent two hours trawling our past VPS customers looking for an account with the troubles you have descirbed, throughly checking with another staff member to investigate your issues.

I would like to make it up to you, and if you are still an existing client, or indeed have already left, please contact me and I will take on board any recommendations that you have to see where we dropped the ball in your case, make appropriate changes and will happily provide you with service credits to use against any existing services you still have, or to give you another run at our services with no obligation.

Oz Servers is definately reading Sitepoint, and takes both positive and negative feedback seriously in an effort to better ourselves.

Best regards,
    Sean Finn
    Oz Servers Group.

Certified Ethical Hacker silver trophybronze trophy dklynn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Thanks Sean!

Welcome to SitePoint!

Yours was a "self-promotion" by defence which is perfectly acceptable and, by accounts, necessary. Both sides may "air their grievances" here so long as things are kept civil. I trust that it will work out in everyone's favour.

Regards,

DK
    David K. Lynn - Data Koncepts is a long-time WebHostingBuzz (US/UK)
    Client and (unpaid) WHB Ambassador
    mod_rewrite Tutorial Article (setup, config, test & write
    mod_rewrite regex w/sample code) and Code Generator