SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what does the green bar from google really mean?

What does the google bar really rank? The one you see on top with the green line. What is a good rank? I see many sites with no ranking, many with 4-6 and very few with 8-10.
    What does it show? Links? in or out? Clicks? content?
    thanks
    louisa

Web Genius
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found this on their page

PageRank Explained

PageRank relies on the uniquely democratic nature of the web by using its vast link structure as an indicator of an individual page's value. In essence, Google interprets a link from page A to page B as a vote, by page A, for page B. But, Google looks at more than the sheer volume of votes, or links a page receives; it also analyzes the page that casts the vote. Votes cast by pages that are themselves "important" weigh more heavily and help to make other pages "important."

Important, high-quality sites receive a higher PageRank, which Google remembers each time it conducts a search. Of course, important pages mean nothing to you if they don't match your query. So, Google combines PageRank with sophisticated text-matching techniques to find pages that are both important and relevant to your search. Google goes far beyond the number of times a term appears on a page and examines all aspects of the page's content (and the content of the pages linking to it) to determine if it's a good match for your query.

Integrity
    Google's complex, automated methods make human tampering with our results extremely difficult. And though we do run relevant ads above and next to our results, Google does not sell placement within the results themselves (i.e., no one can buy a higher PageRank). A Google search is an easy, honest and objective way to find high-quality websites with information relevant to your search.

http://www.google.com/technology/index.html

I also REALLY noticed after I installed the Google Toolbar my browsing experience was slower. Pages generally took a few extra seconds to load. Has anyone else noticed this since they're installed the toolbar?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read this article too but still wonder what it means. First off this forum is very popular and I know the visits must be high as well as the page
    views. So why does it ( this page only have a 2 showing as rank? )edited now ; now it show 6/10 ! As for links I am
    sure many people have your link on their site . ( just cheacked and sitpointforums has over 8000 links in ) So what's the story? Surely this forum
    must rank much higher then some sites I have seen that have a 5 or so.
    I must be missing something here.
    As for loading time, I couldn't say. I have had this bar on for so long and we are on
    cable.
    louisa
    Last edited by louisa; May 26, 2002 at 12:51.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by louisa
    I read this article too but still wonder what it means. First off this forum is very popular and I know the visits must be high as well as the page
    views. So why does it ( this page only have a 2 showing as rank? )edited now ; now it show 6/10 ! As for links I am
    sure many people have your link on their site . ( just cheacked and sitpointforums has over 8000 links in ) So what's the story? Surely this forum
    must rank much higher then some sites I have seen that have a 5 or so.
    I must be missing something here.
    As for loading time, I couldn't say. I have had this bar on for so long and we are on
    cable.
    louisa
    The PageRank has nothing to do with traffic, all to do with incoming links to the particular site. Also, the deeper you get, the lower the PageRank gets, keep that in mind. If you have X number of incoming links of lower quality, you will have a lower PageRank than another site with the same number of incoming links that are higher quality.

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its not sheer number of links but weight of links. In the important thread at the top of this forum is a link to the thesis that started Google, they include the PAgeRank formula in it.

Also if your site has a .info domain for some reason the Toolbar does not show it's pagerank (probably something to do with a 4 letter TLD).

And if Google has not yet spidered the page in question but has spidered other pages on that domain they will guess a PageRank to display in the toolbar, which is why you sometimes see geocities sites ranked highly.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks,
    louisa
    Get seen on the web
    http://rinnan.net

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its a measure of how important google think your page is.

Web Genius
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL then Googles page isn't that important.... it doesn't even rate itself a full 100%, more like 80.

The short answer is yes... Herbster's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by aspen
    And if Google has not yet spidered the page in question but has spidered other pages on that domain they will guess a PageRank to display in the toolbar, which is why you sometimes see geocities sites ranked highly.
    A site I work on was listed last month and the homepage has a PageRank of 4. (We're just happy to be listed at this point), but ALL other pages on the site show NO PageRank.

Is this normal?
    Should we check again after the next crawl, or should we start submitting the other pages individually?
    Last edited by Herbster; Jun 22, 2002 at 12:18.

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just wait and get more incoming links. Google looks at each page individually so if a single page does not have enough weight it will not be included in the public index.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

The short answer is yes... Herbster's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Aspen!