SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: html email

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

html email

I have to create an html email for the first time. What is the right way to test them? Should I view them in browsers and then get an account with various email services and email it to myself to view it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    basically yes. keep it simple eg html not css and test, test and then test again. bear in mind some mail clients won't display html, and some users wont want it so you will need to send the text version (including links as well)

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well, I don't agree about the non-css part... you can but you have to do it the oooooold way (that is, use inline styles). It is true that some people will not read the html version.

Keep it as simple as possible.

And use tables! Most mail clients render html as if you used ie4 or something.

You can't use javascript though... it is not that the mail client can't understand it, most do, but it will not be executed for security purposes.

Keep pictures to a minimum, and use absolute paths directing to a running web server. If the pictures go with the mail, they will get not displayed, probably.

Don't use pictures as background, many mail clients will not be able to display the pictures if they are backgrounds (you can use colors in the background though).

Test in as many mail clients as you can.

You can search for free templates and start from something creating by someone else and that has been tested:

http://www.mailchimp.com/resources/h...ail_templates/
    http://www.campaignmonitor.com/templates/
    http://www.dotmailer.co.uk/email_mar...templates.aspx

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    And I disagree with everyone! Personally I feel HTML e-mail is a mistake for everyone. It is so badly implemented, so poorly supported and so dangerously abused that I think the whole HTML e-mail system should be abolished and replaced with good ole plaintext, the format that preceeded much of the spam and malicious code.

Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexDawson View Post
    And I disagree with everyone! Personally I feel HTML e-mail is a mistake for everyone. It is so badly implemented, so poorly supported and so dangerously abused that I think the whole HTML e-mail system should be abolished and replaced with good ole plaintext, the format that preceeded much of the spam and malicious code.
    He didn't ask if html should or shouldn't be used, but how to do it. You are opening a completely different debate

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    molona, i just thought it was worth nothing the pitfalls of HTML e-mail because it was relevent to how and when to use it

Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexDawson View Post
    molona, i just thought it was worth nothing the pitfalls of HTML e-mail because it was relevent to how and when to use it

HTML mail is not a bad thing and it is great for business... it allows you to create a consistant image of your brand and reinforce it, as well as make you look more professional (with this, I am not only talking about commercial mailings, but also when a company sends a simple note).

In real life, when a company sends you a letter, they will use their own paper with their logo and contact information.

On the note of commercial mailings (the proper ones, the ones that asked if they could send you publicity and you accepted), it is important to attract attention and make it attractive if they want to obtain something.

True, some people don't like it and will stick to good old and plain text.

True, it may lead to security holes (if you use javascript or images that may have harmful code).

Security is important but you can't stop to do something that's reasonable because you are scared. And if the sender doesn't overdue it, downloading time should not be a problem too.