SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do I need permission to contact freelancers previous jobs?

If a freelancer applies to do a job (on a freelance basis) and includes websites that they've done, do I as a buyer have the right to contact those websites and ask them about the person/work they did? Legally I believe I have the right, but I mean more in terms of ethics.

To the freelancers here, do you expect somebody to contact previous jobs you've done that you list, or only when you give explicit permission as with references.

* And no, this is not like contacting previous employers listed on your resume. This is different. Because I said so.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my opinion yes, if they are telling you they did something than it is common sense to assume you are going to try and verify it.

Serial Entrepreneur
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ... and, in fact, you would be remiss not to ask the freelancer for contact names at those places to make sure you talk to the right person.

EVERY one of my clients is a reference client as far as I'm concerned. I pick the three most interesting to give to any new client who asks for that information, but I could just as easily give them 10 names and let them pick. If your newfound freelancer doesn't have references, then that is something else to be investigated, right?
    FreelanceLocalTech - FREE Freelance Consultant Directory!
    VersaReports Universal Report Server for .Net - Try It Now!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If they give you the info, you are entitled to use it. But do exercise a little care, only contact previous clients if you are genuinely considering hiring the freelancer.
    Fergal Crawley (Previous Username: Proudirish.com)
    Business Advice Forum - Webmaster and Business Forum
    < Get a free link & win $5,000
    Forum Coin New World Currency

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree, I think you have every right to contact the clients they they say they have done work for. For transparency sake you could inform the freelancer that you will be contacting the clients that they have presented perhaps asking them if there is anyone in particular they work with in the company.

That way the freelancer can provide you with a way into the company and they can also save a bit of face if they have presented something which they shouldn't have...

Cheers,
    Colin
    Colin Burns
    http://www.cmsadvantage.com
    Founder & CEO, cmsadvantage
    The premier CMS for Web & Graphic Designers

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you were provided those details as referral than by all means contact the client but make sure you state clearly in the e-mail that your (the clients) details were referred to you by whomever gave them to you, that way they know they’re not on a universal spam list.

phpLD Fanatic bronze trophy dvduval's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing wrong with asking for references, as I know how difficult it can be to find good people. It took me years to build the team we have now.