SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool Convinced

Mmm this thread convinced me to switch to 800x600.

I've allways been designing for the lowest res (640x480) but I guess it's time to move on.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post 640 vs bigger

I have noticed that many web designers have turned away from the 640 pixel layout. But I still prefer it, even though the screen resolution on my computer is larger. Quite a few users still use the 640 resolution, and it’s very irritating if you have to scroll horizontally to see the whole web page. Designing in 1600 resolution for example would frustrate most web page visitors. Some space on the right side of the screen doesn’t hurt you.

A 640 resolution will also ease printing the page. With a page in a larger format the web designer could link the page to a printable version of the same page (extra work for the designer!), or the user may need to copy it’s content into a Word or WordPerfect, etc. document before printing

If my screen size is twice as big as what the web page is designed for, I will be able to have multiple programs on the screen at the same time without any problems, for example Photoshop and a text editor in addition to the web browser.

Making the pages fluid (where the page width adjusts to the screen automatically, like these forum pages) can be a solution, but the page won’t look the same on different resolutions. This can remove the designer’s vision of the layout. Images and text could move and ruin the design.

Some good(?) example of web sites using 640 pixels width are: www.microsoft.com and www.newcastle.edu.au.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by goma
    I wanted to use this but the NN6 compatiblity was something I wanted as well.
    So basically you don't care much about the 2.6% of users with a 640x480 rez, but you care about the 0.66% who use NS6.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    fwiw I'm browsing @ 640x480 all the time now at home. It's not because I'm pc illiterate, or because I have to, but because I choose to!

Why? I am using my pc as an entertainment system - dvd, mp3, wintv, and when you're half way across the room text is a little hard to read at anything larger!

I am forgiving of some sites that force me to scroll, but they certainly don't enjoy my regular patronage. One solution (that I employ regularly) to the nice-look/limited-space thing is to have "non-essential" content on the right of a page (ie not navigation or main content). That way the site is still 100% useable at low res, still pretty at high res. You cab stick advertising, contact stuff, even searches on that side, as they are not needed constantly and peeps are more willing to scroll for a purpose.

Before anyone cries "but my adverts are most important", they're not - ensuring people are on your site and enjoying using it means they're more likely to click one -far more likely than people who aren't there at all...
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wink Use CSS!

Could you do that with a two or three column layout so that the width was fluid but the individual columns stayed a fixed width.
    The best advice I can give is to learn CSS!

I have just started to learn about the many ways that CSS can help us with design issues such as these. I am using a similar technique as below for the new version of my site that I am creating as we speak. Here is what I am doing: I set up specific table classes and assign them exact widths. Changing the resolution of the screen will not change the size of the tables. Then dock those tables either in the center of the page or on the left (or right). Then, include a background image for the page that matches the graphics you are using in the smaller layout and there ya go!

If you have not already learned CSS, then I strongly recommend that you do. You can take a couple of great courses here: HWG/IWA

If you have, then play around with it for a bit and I am sure you will solve it.
    Pace Computing Limited

"If you don't make mistakes, you're not working on hard enough problems." - Frank Wilczek, Particle Physicist