SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Legal Documentation and Contracts, what's needed or not?

I have read a lot of forum articles that many people have suggested coming up with a contract when developing websites for clients, which I totally agree with.

However, my question comes into play, where I was wondering if a Lawyer would be needed to validate your contract and make sure nothing is wrong with it, or if you can just create a contract and that's it. I know for big business' it is necessary for them to protect them selves, same as I would like to myself, but I would assume that smaller business would probably not want to sue me over smaller size websites. (not that I am looking to do any weird business practices that would get me sued)

What's your suggestions?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've developed websites for years. And we don't typically do a contract, but a detailed spec sheet of the project details. Outline what will be delivered. Who is responsible for what (such as text, photography, etc.). And what the costs are. Then make sure you stick to the project details. If a client starts asking for more that what was originally agreed upon, make sure you stop and discuss the ramifications for changes to the initial specs. New costs. Etc. Never wait till the end and then spring a bill on the client for more than originally estimated. That never ends well.

As for an official contract, it doesn't take much for a contract to be legally binding. But at the point, that only really matters if the client doesn't pay, and you intend to take them to court.
    Add your logo to Pocket Folders.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good communication is key. I generally do web design without contracts as well, and never had a problem.

A lawyer does not need to validate. You are better spending that money getting a prewritten contract in the web business design kit from SitePoint.
    Maarten

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds good you guys. What considers a contract Legally Binding?