SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 72 of 72
  1. #51
    SitePoint Enthusiast GzThai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    50
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cms is easy to install and instructions with support is always provides, just download most popular cms and try it once i Like Wordpress

  2. #52
    SitePoint Addict zipperz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    329
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you get sick of pulling your hair out with Joomla try out Wordpress or Drupal.

    They are so much nicer.

  3. #53
    SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    1,432
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. We use eZpublish at my workplace... I would rate it rather poor on the whole.

    2. Drupal is good for small-scale sites.

    3. Dreamweaver shouldn't even be an option

    3. Wordpress imho is one of the best choices.

    4. Haven't tried Joomla but hear it is pretty good....

    I would give wordpress a shot

  4. #54
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Posts
    68
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you can do all the above with Joomla or with other CMS's too. Check also Elxis.org, Drupal etc.

    Good luck!

  5. #55
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Posts
    68
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cooper.semantics View Post
    2. Drupal is good for small-scale sites.
    If you try to run Google or Yahoo or Facebook with Drupal then yes, it is not appropriate... the same goes with ANY cms out there...

    But as long as you have good and plenty of hardware, you can do more

  6. #56
    SitePoint Guru Dijup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Kathmandu, Nepal
    Posts
    790
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think wordpress rocks

    since last few release wordpress has come up with the cms feature then the blog.

  7. #57
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Thumbs up

    Hy guys. I have a new CMS platform for you. E107 . Has full admin template and lots of free templates ready to work for you. Works great for small business and for individual websites.
    I can`t post links... i`m new here.. sorry

  8. #58
    SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    1,432
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 01globalnet View Post
    If you try to run Google or Yahoo or Facebook with Drupal then yes, it is not appropriate... the same goes with ANY cms out there...

    But as long as you have good and plenty of hardware, you can do more
    True, but different CMS's can handle medium-large scale sites better than others

  9. #59
    SitePoint Zealot
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Posts
    122
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use both WordPress and Joomla! and this is what in my opinion distinguishes the two.
    WordPress seems to be much faster in a shared hosting environment, Joomla! can be terribly slow in that case and there are tons of blog and forum posts out there trying to find a solution to this problem. Lots of people randomly change settings not knowing what possible drawbacks of each solution are. Joomla! is probably more difficult for a client to learn if they want to maintain their own content. It is also pretty time-consuming to set up, I find, because it comes with so much pre-installed functionality (I find WordPress more lightweight in that regard).

    On the other hand, if you are not too proficient with php/css, Joomla! out of the box templates usually have enough functionality to customize your page layouts as needed. A lot of WordPress templates have only one pre-defined non-post-style layout (called page layout) they come with (unless you pay for a fancy one) and if you want to customize some page layouts, it will be up to you to do that (basic php/css knowledge is a must, while I think Joomla! doesn't really require that for basic layout changes).

    Some general CMS pointers:
    • Don't forget to come up with a backup strategy. How will you ensure that you always have a backup of the latest version of the site in case the site gets compromised?
    • There could be security issues since you trust somebody else's code (especially when you install plugins/components, how do you know the plugin is trustworthy?). Only install popular, well-tested plugins.
    • When you add new functionality, will you be working on the live site? You could easily overwrite something without having an undo option.
    • Hackers love to exploit popular CMS systems - make sure to read up on how to make your login pages more secure, etc.
    "The browser is your first client" - Quote: Myself
    Please visit me at: vanillacloud.com

  10. #60
    SitePoint Enthusiast foxy_lady's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    46
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would definitely go for Joomla - its quite easy to modify they have great help forums if you get stuck and they have a few books which you can buy that are handy!

  11. #61
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    37
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Wordpress is the best publishing platform for newbie . It's very simple ,clean . You can expand its functions by installing plug-in . I used Joomla ,and other platform ,but I backed to Wordpress for all of my website .

  12. #62
    SitePoint Guru Dijup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Kathmandu, Nepal
    Posts
    790
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by melissapbr View Post

    Some general CMS pointers:
    • Don't forget to come up with a backup strategy. How will you ensure that you always have a backup of the latest version of the site in case the site gets compromised?
    • There could be security issues since you trust somebody else's code (especially when you install plugins/components, how do you know the plugin is trustworthy?). Only install popular, well-tested plugins.
    • When you add new functionality, will you be working on the live site? You could easily overwrite something without having an undo option.
    • Hackers love to exploit popular CMS systems - make sure to read up on how to make your login pages more secure, etc.
    I think the only way to get rid of this problem is creating own CMS with the required features and design.

  13. #63
    SitePoint Zealot
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    147
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dinhquanghuy View Post
    I think Wordpress is the best publishing platform for newbie . It's very simple ,clean . You can expand its functions by installing plug-in . I used Joomla ,and other platform ,but I backed to Wordpress for all of my website .
    Speaking as a one time newbie I agree with this.

    I self taught myself HTML with the help of Dreamweaver and that was a MUCH more labourious process than learing WordPress. The Wp learning curve is not very steep at all - very intuitive.

  14. #64
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think socialGo would be a better solution than joomla for what your describing.

  15. #65
    SitePoint Addict Racer_X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    212
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a client who wants to move away from having a regular web site to something she can be more in control of herself without having to learn CSS.

    With that in mind, would Joomla or Drupal be a better option for her than Wordpress?

    Also, she wants to have different access to different members, depending upon how long they've been members. What would be the best choice in software for this?

  16. #66
    SitePoint Addict
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    343
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your client doesn't even want to learn CSS then you should seriously consider WordPress. Drupal & Joomla has a technical learning curve and they also use non-common speak (what I call engineering/progammer terms) for certain things. Wordpress uses common language and that is one of the main reasons why it is easier to understand.

    E.g WordPress used terms like posts, pages, categories, tags & plugins. Drupal uses terms like posts, content-type, primary & secondary links, nodes, modules, taxonomy & blocks. Joomla uses terms like articles, internal links, external links, components, modules, plugins & extensions.
    Daoist System Theory - DST
    Responsible Travel to Africa - ecoAfrica Travel
    Wing Chun and Taichi - Kungfu

  17. #67
    SitePoint Guru silver trophy JamesColin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Jomtien, Pattaya, Thailand
    Posts
    910
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Drupal is the best for user roles management and access rights.
    Do you really need traffic? Where to? What for?
    If you really do need traffic then stop messing around!
    Advertise on my sites today: She Told Me & Best Reviewer :
    200,000+ UV / Month

  18. #68
    SitePoint Wizard masm50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,508
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cooper.semantics View Post
    1. We use eZpublish at my workplace... I would rate it rather poor on the whole.

    2. Drupal is good for small-scale sites.

    3. Wordpress imho is one of the best choices.

    4. Haven't tried Joomla but hear it is pretty good....
    1. What are your issues with eZpublish? It is pretty difficult to get your head around at first and complete overkill for smaller sites (and needing ssh for upgrades is a hassle), but I have found it very powerful when I've needed it.

    2. I've only just started using Drupal myself, but have found it a great CMS to develop with. Allows you to do a lot with not much development time.

    3. I love Wordpress for my blogs. It is a fantastic blog and small/simple site CMS, but I find things get a bit complicated if you try to extend it much further.

    4. I have heard less good things about Joomla...

  19. #69
    SitePoint Addict Racer_X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    212
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesColin View Post
    Drupal is the best for user roles management and access rights.
    1. In Wordpress, if I have subscribers who pay a monthly fee for access to certain pages, can I have their access rights upgrade automatically upon payment?
    1b. Do you need to install a plugin for this and where would I get this?

    2. Between Wordpress and Drupal, which is more secure?
    Last edited by Racer_X; Jun 8, 2009 at 11:09.

  20. #70
    SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    1,432
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by masm50 View Post
    1. What are your issues with eZpublish? It is pretty difficult to get your head around at first and complete overkill for smaller sites (and needing ssh for upgrades is a hassle), but I have found it very powerful when I've needed it.
    1. Not enough "good" documentation for eZpublish.
    2. Scales pretty poor with medium/large-scale sites.
    3. The devs. I work with have run into some pretty bizarre issues.

    Quote Originally Posted by masm50 View Post
    2. I've only just started using Drupal myself, but have found it a great CMS to develop with. Allows you to do a lot with not much development time.
    Yep. Nice framework for smaller sites.

    Quote Originally Posted by masm50 View Post
    3. I love Wordpress for my blogs. It is a fantastic blog and small/simple site CMS, but I find things get a bit complicated if you try to extend it much further.
    Haven't tried to use wordpress for larger sites... Personal blogs wordpress handles like a champ

    Quote Originally Posted by masm50 View Post
    4. I have heard less good things about Joomla...
    Really? I hear it's pretty good.... I haven't used Joomla personally, so I can't make a judgment just yet.
    Last edited by cooper.semantics; Jun 7, 2009 at 21:14.

  21. #71
    SitePoint Addict Racer_X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    212
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Racer_X View Post
    1. In Wordpress, if I have subscribers who pay a monthly fee for access to certain pages, can I have their access rights upgrade automatically upon payment?
    1b. Do you need to install a plugin for this and where would I get this?

    2. Between Wordpress and Drupal, which is more secure?
    Bump.

    Could really use an answer to these. Can someone help me out here?

  22. #72
    Mazel tov! bronze trophy kohoutek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Hamburg, Germany
    Posts
    4,248
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. You'll either have to create the additional functionalities, or take advantage of an off-the-shelf plugin.

    1b. Yes, there are. I would strongly recommend, however, that you do thorough research on any of these plugins first.

    http://wp-member.com/tag/paid-content-plugin/
    http://membership-plugin.com/
    http://www.sumaplugin.com/
    http://www.memberwing.com/software/w...ng-user-guide/
    http://www.codeplex.com/easypaypal/R...eleaseId=13663
    http://www.wp-membership.com/


    2. WordPress and Drupal are as secure as you make them. They're both popular CMSes, they are both maintained and updated frequently. They're also often the target of hackers, in part due to their popularity. Perhaps WordPress more so than Drupal. It is up to you to ensure that you take any and all precautions to avoid security holes in your system.
    Maleika E. A. | Rockatee | Twitter | Dribbble




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •