SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is your favorite type of client, the technically savvy or average user?

I use to think a client that has above average technical knowledge was the most fun to work with. I don't have to translate what's going on in my brain for a solution and its nice to talk details.

However I'm starting to change my mind. I'm finding I get more done when working with someone who is an average user that doesn't think about web stuff all day. The non-technical tend to take my suggestions at face value and I can a full day in without an hour long conversation about something trivial.

I've also found that both types of clients can help me find solutions to problems. Even someone who has no clue what about what I'm doing can spark really good ideas.

That's my random thought of the morning.

SitePoint Guru bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm finding I get more done when working with someone who is an average user that doesn't think about web stuff all day. The non-technical tend to take my suggestions at face value and I can a full day in without an hour long conversation about something trivial.
    Agree with that, but it's more about objectives and human factors than technology.

When you approach a situation from the human factors and then work out the technology, that speeds things along.

No humans -- no solution. Too many are making technology solutions in a user and customer free vacuum. It then becomes a solution to a problem that nobody actually has.

Serial Entrepreneur
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I prefer the type of client that pays on time. Technical vs. non-technical doesn't matter much.

But that's probably just me.
    FreelanceLocalTech - FREE Freelance Consultant Directory!
    VersaReports Universal Report Server for .Net - Try It Now!

Life is short. Be happy today! silver trophybronze trophy Sagewing's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It doesn't matter, really. It's the client who has great business skills that is the most fun to work with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's how you deal with them..depends on their nature as well..

More technical means that it's easy for you to explain him and an average user would blow your mind if you use technical jargons..
    On the other hand...if the technical person asks you a lot of tech savvy questions..then you are busted..whereas an average client would just accept what you tell him ..so less burden for you..

Lastly..complete the job and get paid.!
    Build your outsourcing strategy now!!
    Email : jitenjain @ gmail.com

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I really do not mind what kind of client I have, as long as they do not have unrealistic expectations and will pay for the service they requested I have no problems talking to both average and savvy web users, they both come with their own advantages and disadvantages

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can break down our clients into these three categories:

1 - Those who come to us because they know we do good work, and want us to use our expertise for them.

2 - Clients who know what they want, and just want us to execute their vision.

3 - Clients who don't know what they want, but want to be in the middle of everything. Who think they understand marketing and design. And want to make sure their stamp is on everything.

The first two are easy. The last one is the hardest.
    Add your logo to Pocket Folders.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiefLee View Post
    I can break down our clients into these three categories:
    Mine break down similar:

1. People who would do it themselves if they could, but can't, so don't.

2. People who probably could do it themselves, but don't want to, and would rather just pay someone.

The latter group is the money maker every time. The former doesn't know enough to reasonably judge the value, worth or quality of what they're getting to be a good client - they always want magic for pennies. And half the time, they don't actually realize that they're operating outside of their area of expertise.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiefLee View Post
    3 - Clients who don't know what they want, but want to be in the middle of everything. Who think they understand marketing and design. And want to make sure their stamp is on everything.
    I think we've all had our fair share of these types of clients. But I guess at least they pay the bills, right?

I have to say though, that my favourite clients have been the ones with above average technical knowledge. But at the same time, those who don't interfere and see me as the expert. The client I worked with last summer was exactly like this. I just wish they came along more frequently